How to send data signal from master socket to extension socket?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by simon77, Nov 2, 2018.

1. EZ Tutty

EZ Tutty Member

I've never actually checked the voltage on filtered terminals. I know a bare DSL signal will measure almost nothing but there maybe some residual voltage from the 50v incoming, or it could be induced voltage in the wiring from the phone side of things.

It sounds like your doing everything right, but I'd be interested to see what lies between the Black/Green -> Blue/Orange connection as I can only assume this is whets stopping things working.

To prove the faceplate, If you have a spare RJ11 cable, chop one end off, connect the wires that go to Pin 3 & 4 on the RJ11 end straight into terminals A & B on the faceplate and try the router on that (it maybe awkward to get the faceplate on without removing the cable knockout on the underside of the socket).

If the faceplate checks out ok, running a new cable might be the best bet.

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's a good point, Tut - I don't know but I would 'expect' to not see any significant voltage from the filtered ADSL line.

Simon, have you checked the voltage directly from the 'circled' terminals as in the instructions I linked to?

3. simon77

simon77 New Member

That's a good way to test. I should have a spare RJ11 cable lying about somewhere. Would pin 3 go to A and pin 4 to B, or doesn't it matter?

4. simon77

simon77 New Member

Yep, I've tried them both ways.

I haven't, do you mean the A&B terminals in this link?
    https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/VDSLMK4NTE5CMK2extensions.JPG

And by just connecting some wires to the terminal, running them out of the faceplate, closing it and testing the ends?

5. EZ Tutty

EZ Tutty Member

Yes that's right, although technically it doesn't matter which way around they are.

simon77 likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

They are not

simon77 likes this.
  7. simon77

simon77 New Member

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, probably will sometime over the weekend. Just wanted to say thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated.

KIAB and Allsorts like this.
  8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

This is now way past my knowledge of these systems, but your findings would be very interesting.

IF there's a way of running the filtered ADSL signal down an existing extension telephone line so's the router could be positioned elsewhere, I'd be very interested... :)

9. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton New Member

Did you get to the bottom of this??

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a spare pair for router,if extension telephone line has any.

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

From where in the ADSL master? Do they tend to have dedicated terminals inside or will it need bodging a bit?

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Allsorts likes this.
  13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Fab - thanks Bazza.

That looks like the A&B(?) connectors shown earlier.

I wonder... what's best; use these terminals to run the ADSL signal to your extension point where you can plug in your router, or else fit your router at the faceplate location and send the router's signal down to your PC by Cat 6?

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

IIRC The A&B terminals are for the connection to the line to the exchange.

IF you have an Openreach master with the VDSL facility then the internal data connection can be made as described in the instructions :/-
    1. The red connection point found on the reverse of the Mk4 VDSL filter front cover is used to connect home data extension wiring.
    2. Lift up the red coloured connection cover and thread the 2 data cable wires in the same way as shown above for NTE5C and close the red cover to make the connection.

Other VDSL masters May be arranged differently.

Allsorts likes this.
  15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I always prefer to fit the modem at the earliest point possible and then feed the output to the router using Cat5e or Cat6. If the unit is a hub with both modem and router, then I will still recommend installing early and then fit a small 4/5/8 port switch at the remote location.

Once inside a house, there is so much RF noise from TVs, power supplies, fridges, central heating, toys, &c &c it is worth reducing the potential for that to be picked up. Ethernet signals are at 5v, DSL is down at 1 to 5 mV or even lower ... so any noise can seriously affect DSL whereas Ethernet is immune.

Allsorts likes this.
  16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cool - thanks Bazz and Poll. :)

17. GOLDJAG

GOLDJAG New Member

just to muddy the water i have a slightly different problem with openreach sockets i have the same new 5C master
    with MK4 faceplate that has phone socket and vdsl for router. i want to fit an extension with same connectors and
    need the phoneline to be active unlike Simon 77. The best option would be to use my spare 5C with Mk 4 faceplate
    fitted to an an existing socket box inserted into the wall where i want the new socket to go. i just need the wiring
    schedule to ensure the phone and VDSL sockets are live and available to use on both master and extension.??