How to shut off hot water from tank ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by atc0829, Sep 1, 2019.

1. atc0829

atc0829 New Member

Hi , looking for some advice on shutting off the hot water supply from the tank in our airing cupboard.

I'm working on our en-suite bathroom upstairs , we are changing everything and wanted to know how to shut off the hot water feeds , in the past when i changed some sink taps in another bathroom , i shut off the main cold feed into the house downstairs but had to drain the entire tank before the hot pipework could be disconnected and adjusted , I've put some pictures below of the tank , wondering if anyone knows how to stop the tank being emptied out completely ? i think the pump shown is for the towel rads ? not sure. All the pipe work for upstairs runs over the loft area and down into the bathrooms , I've looked around up there for a shut off or gate valve , but there isn't one.

tank-image7.jpg tank-image3.jpg tank-image6.jpg tank-image4.jpg tank-image5.jpg tank-image1.jpg tank-image2.jpg

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Shut off the cold mains supply to the tank. Then open hot taps ,will drain only the pipework not the cylinder.

3. You will need to shut off the cold feed to the cylinder, is there not a stop cock or lever valve do do this, if not you will need to shut off the mains stop cock.

The pump is for the secondary hot water return.

You should have isolation valves on the sink and bath pipework installed already, if not it is not a good job.You should also be able to isolate the cylinder without turning the house off.

4. atc0829

atc0829 New Member

Ok , I can’t see any valves to shut off the cold supply to the tank , only the main stopcock downstairs for the whole house.
    The sink, bath and toilet all have isolation valves , but the pipe work needs to adjusted further back from these , also the shower mixer bar has no visible/ accessible isolation valves.

Image of cold supply into tank -

9A957A85-8169-49E8-81F8-F7F43F9BA7CB.jpeg

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Follow the pipe ,which appears to go vertically (out of the pic) ,there may be an isolator higher up. If not then turn off the main stopcock ,after stocking up on drinking water if its going to be off for hours.

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

usually an isolation valve is fitted on the mains water inlet pipe just before the pressure reducing valve (the grey item) but that pipe disappears into the floor.

Maybe turn the water off somewhere else or the complete house, dont to forget to isolate the electric to the secondary return pump ;)

plumbing :mad: