How to stop leaking from shower screen

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MrM, Sep 24, 2019.

1. MrM

MrM Member

For my sins, I bought and fitted a Victoria Plum bathroom set.

Despite the design being anything but standard, and most of the fittings again being anything but bloody standard, I've had constant problems with the shower screen leaking.

It's a small 500mm straight shape bath with overhead mixer shower. The shower screen is a one piece glass on a swivel hinge fixed to the wall.

The base of thw shower screen is circular. When I fixed the screen in place I used some waterproof/mould proof silicone at the base and down the side and fixed it flush to the bath.

However, the sealant strip that was provided and subsequent ones since are all 90 degree square as standard. When fitted to the underside of the screen and butting up against the circular pillar of the shower screen, there is always <1mm gap where they meet, as a result water constantly leaks out and down the side of the bath.

I've tried difference seal strips and cutting them more oval to sit more flush on the swivel bar, but with no real luck.

Other than replacing the screen for one that has a fixed section and then a swivel section, is there anything else I can do?

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Does the bottom of the sealing strip come into contact with the top of the bath? Or is the gap only where the strip meets the pillar?
    The instructions for mine said to cut the end that touches the pillar at a slight angle to prevent any gaps.

Is the screen fitted level and plumb?

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Does it leak at the base, literally where the screen pivots at the hinge point ?

I’ve not got one but brother and mate has and yes, they both leak at this same point

Depends I think on design of bath as some have a small raised lip around the edge which acts as a barrier and ‘pushes’ water back into bath

The seal at base of screen will clear this as flaps backwards and forwards (although they get less flexible with age) ..... (don’t we all :mad:)

Think it’s an inherent design flaw ...... possibly ?

4. Itchy sponner

Itchy sponner New Member

Apart from cutting the u shaped bit off to try and bridge the gap it's probably not going to be fully sealable. A blob of silicone allowed to set may help.