How to thin a plasterboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul Ballard, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Paul Ballard

Paul Ballard New Member

I have a loft hatch that I want to board over I've put supports for the plaster board but one side can fit 12mm board but other side is 6mm. I can't cut away anymore of the hatch surround. Is it possible to thin a plasterboard with a surform or similar?

Thought I'd ask here before I do it and fine out its a terrible idea .

Cheers

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not that much, no. Post a picture of your scenario or use a 3/8ths plasterboard instead of 1/2inch.

3. Paul Ballard

Paul Ballard New Member

There is already one 12mm board in the hole wanted to put another to fill the void. Problem is the whole ceiling bows in the middle and I really don't want to board the whole thing as I'm lazy and want to move soon . If thinning the board on one side isn't an option what about doing two lots of plaster to fill it? 10mm coat then another to blend it in? Only problem it's above the Stair case and it's a nightmare to get close to it so plastering would be alot of effort to get smooth.
    20201012_195642.jpg 20201012_195652.jpg

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Remove the plasterboard, screw timber on the sides of the infill joists at the correct level to bring the plasterboard down flush with the existing ceiling, then skim over the lot or tape and joint it. Or one coat of bonding plaster, then skim over that when dry.

Paul Ballard likes this.
  5. Paul Ballard

Paul Ballard New Member

Thanks! That is a better option don't know why I didn't think of it

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd of blobbed around with cove adhesive or easyfill 20. Pushed board in so it is level with existing ceiling and a few screws to hold it in place. Don't tighten screws for 2 hours as you want board to remain inline with ceiling. When set add more screws and tighten. Then fill around the edge with more filler. Sand smooth. Lining paper over the ceiling or maybe just fill around board and sand smooth and paint. Trick is to get board level with existing ceiling. Bit of PVA or wood glue and water mixed as a sealer around board edge will stop it cracking when filled. B@Q sell no tape ready mixed joint compound which will make the job easy to fill. (brand) makegood