How to turn off supply to hot taps?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bairdyboy1980, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Hi all,

I need some help on how to turn off the hot water supply to my hot water taps.

I need to change the tap and it doesn't have an isolation valve on the tap i want to change.

The boiler tank i have is a heatrae sadia megaflo cl250. How would i just turn off the supply to the hot water tap to change and then switch back on with no airlocks/issues etc?

Thanks

Rob

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Turn off your mains stop tap, turn on the hot tap until the flow stops, and that's it.

bairdyboy1980 and Heat like this.
  3. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

oh right i thought it might have been different for a conventional boiler and hot water tank

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If you just want to isolate just the hot water, there should be a gate valve above the MegaFlo. Something like this:

[​IMG]

bairdyboy1980 likes this.
  5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

If there is, for goodness sake leave it alone. The work of the devil, designed to fail closed and leave you in the poo.

Stick to your mains stop tap.

bairdyboy1980 and Heat like this.
  6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

If no isolating valve on mains supply pipe to Megaflop, just turn mains stopcock off, as Joe said.
    The unit will remain full of water, but pipe from unit to the tap will fill with air but will not airlock later.

bairdyboy1980 likes this.
  7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I never use gate valves except to use on a heating system.
    Full flow lever valve on any supplies (or brass stopcock okay on cold pipes).
    Gate valves snap or seize inside or fill with debris.

8. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Ok will turn off the water mains into my house then (under the sink), thanks for your help people!!

Joe the Plumber likes this.