How to use munsen rings properly...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Brightsparkey, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Brightsparkey

Brightsparkey New Member

so the missus has turned up her nose at the talon plastic clips in the new pluming in the hall and wants polished pipes and munsen rings instead...

I have some rings and bases and now a few questions..

1) the bases when screwed on are not tight either at 90degrees or in line with pipe. How do you make them tight - I don't want them to rattle...

2) the spacing and height are not the same as normal clips - is there an easy way to mark out for drilling and how do I get back to normal clips once I'm through the wall..

Thanks for any advice from those with experience of these clips...

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

1-On the original munsen clips movement between the back plate and the pipe clip was traditionally accepted as it took up any expansion & contraction whilst the pipes were heating/cooling. Preventing other problems.

You can wrap a few rounds of ptfe tape on the male thread,assemble and when in correct position use a craft knife to remove any showing ptfe tape.
    Some people use thread/stud lock adhesive/araldite but you will most probably have ptfe tape.

2-to keep the pipes uniform in the hall,measure the pipe centers on the munsen clips,transfer that dimension to the wall and drill through the wall at that dimension.
    Other side of the wall you can either bend the pipes so they are in the correct position for the talon clips or use copper fittings, 15mm obtuse 45 degree elbow into a 15mm obtuse 45 degree street elbow. It all depends where the pipes come out the other side of the wall to which fittings are used,trial&error.

3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

They don’t screw down tight

You simply wind down as much as possible then rewind it to it’s required position

Once the little screws are tight, it all sits firmly

4. Brightsparkey

Brightsparkey New Member

Just to follow up on this thread..

It was easier than I thought - careful planning is key - marking out as The Teach said, gives a neat set of pipe runs and you mount the back of the clip to the wall before any pipe work. Clips can be loosely attached, making it easy to cut the pipes once the run is designed - actually easier to plumb than normal clips as you can slide the pipes easily. Ceiling exits are very easy to mark and drill with these.

A positive advantage of these clips is that cross-over bends can be mounted behind the pipes making for a neater flush appearance.

Lining up to the clips on the other side wasn't too bad with a pipe bender and some trial and error. Spraining the bend was OK to get the final alignment and spacing.

End result is very neat and tidy..

Thanks for the help.

WillyEckerslike likes this.