how to wire a push button chrome dimmer switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by carpethead, May 22, 2018.

1. carpethead

carpethead New Member

Could anyone please help me wire a chrome 2 push button dimmer switch as I just cant follow the instructions as the new switch looks nothing like the previous one. Each button controls 4 led's. I've attached some pictures of the new switch and the old one (some pic's are attached twice in error). I would like to know which colour wire goes into which part of the switch eg blue wire into L1, or whatever.
    Thanks

LZZK9485[1].JPG NOLG9388[1].JPG LZZK9485[1].JPG NOLG9388[1].JPG NPLL5611[1].JPG

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, easy one here :)

Middle terminal is known as ‘common’, and your live (or line) core goes to this, either red or brown, depending on age of wiring

Your switched live, either black or blue goes to L1 (note these aren’t neutrals) . This core carries power from the switch back to light fitting

They should be partially sleeved at both ends (switch and light) to show that although nuetral colours, with switch on, they are actually live cores. So on black core, a piece of red sleeve and on blue core, a piece of brown sleeve

Couple of things though;

Can only see an earth core from one cable on the left, what about other cable ?

Earths should terminate direct to switch not back box. Then a fly lead from switch to back box

Where’s that red core come from as cable colours should be brown and blue. RH cable can only see a brown core ?

You can actually connect switch live to L2, makes no difference on a rotary switch

On a toggle switch, connecting to L2 just means switch works upside down

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The red looks like a link between the two switches as there is only one feed wire, probably the brown out of the twin cable, this would go in the middle contact in the new switch and then linked to the other middle contact in the other switch. The blue out of the twin cable will go in L1 of one switch and the single brown will go into L1 of the other switch, probably.

I wouldn't worry about the earth either, its fine as it is as long as its connected to the metal front plate somehow.

4. carpethead

carpethead New Member

I've currently wired as:
    Blue wire from twin cable into L1
    Brown from twin into L2
    Red wire from common to other common
    Brown from single cable into other L2
    Earth from back of box into switch earth

From the single wire cable with the single brown, there is a blue wire which was not previously used???

Had some success but cant turn on both push buttons at same time, and for example, can turn on 1 set of 4 leds with LH push button but can turn them off with other push button. Other similar weird functions!
    Dont know if its relevant but I was recommended to buy a 2 way 2 gang switch, is this correct?
    Thanks for the help so far.

5. peter palmer

Well try doing it my way then, it will never work the way you have wired it no matter what colours you use. L2 is not used on either switch.

6. carpethead

carpethead New Member

Hello Peter,
    Apologies for being a total novice but on your first message, where would the brown wire from the twin cable feed into please if the other single brown goes into a L1 and the twin blue goes into the other L ?

Thanks for your patience

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The blue being cut off which would suggest the second cable was used for 2 way switching at some point.

Where's the red wire come from. ???

8. peter palmer

It can't be hard, someone has obviously used 2 pieces of T&E because they haven't had any 3 core&E to hand so just used the brown only from the second cable for the third core.

The brown out of the twin goes into the common of one switch (the squiggly phase symbol), the red links from this to the other common, the blue that is being used goes into the L1 of one dimmer and the single brown goes into the other L1. The second blue isn't used and is most probably snipped off at the other end.

9. The earth wire/cpc that has been cut in the cable using only the brown should also be connected.

10. peter palmer

I would personally but its probably snipped at the other end too.