How to word insurance claim for leak.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by biasqinc, Oct 11, 2009.

1. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I need to advise a family member how to claim for a leak in their bathroom. I haven't investigated it yet but need to know what not to say when I do find it. The floor and joists are gone amongst other things.

The policy says that they are covered for:

a. freezing of water in fixed water or heating systems.
    b. water escaping from washing machines, dishwashers, freezers, and fixed water installations.

what is not covered:

The replacement cost of any part of any fixed water or fixed heating system not damaged by freezing water.

Can someone suggest what would be the best thing that could have caused the damage. The insurer is Halifax.

2. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

gawd blimey, thats been leaking for some time if the floor AND joists have rotted. was there no obvious sign from the ceiling of the room below?

the problem you may have is the time element, there is a duty to maintain property and equipment, hence if signs have been ignored that highlighted a problem, the insurer WILL rely on that clause. as i say how can so much damage occur without it being noticed? i dont know the setup of this property, so it may have been possible.

your thoughts please biasquinc.