How would you carry a brick tile pattern around a 'boxed in' soil pipe corner?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by fizzy2, Nov 19, 2021.

1. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Hi all

In a bathroom, I have a boxed in soil pipe corner. The tiles will be in brick pattern 500 x 250 and the corner internal box section is 300 x 300.

I'm not sure whether to use single tiles cut at 300 around the box section or try to continue the brick pattern, alternating rows of 150/150 split, 300, etc

I've attached a labelled picture so people can refer to each column & row to help explain please.

corner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2021
  2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Unless the boxed in pipe is in a wet area, e.g. a shower, I wouldn't tile it in. I would just paint it. If ever the pipe needed seeing to, removing a painted box is a whole lot less disruptive than removing a tiled box.

Hell68 and Martyn21uk like this.
  3. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

If its in the wet area aesthetically I'd continue the brick pattern and use tile edging strip at joins a and c. It'll hide the cuts and neaten it all up.

4. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Thanks but It's boxed in with studding and plasterboard. There's no joints that I can's access via the adjacent back to wall WC box. I want to tile it. It's how to continue the pattern that i'm asking about.

5. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Do you mean use an edging strip at external corner 'B'? A & C are the internal corners. The question is 'how' to continue the pattern?
    Let's take row 1. Should A to B have a vertical split, then B to C also have a split, then to the left C be a full tile?
    Then on row 2 have no splits around the box with a half tile to the left of C?
    Alternate the above on each row?

There are numerous options...

6. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Yes. Sorry. The external corner B. I don't what I was looking at :D

Ordinarily you'd use the offcuts from the rows and continue them round the walls including the boxed in bit. Keeping the brick pattern. But you'll end up with 50mm slivvers of tiles.

The alternative is you keep rows 1,3 and 5 as near to whole tiles as possible (300mm in this case - as that's the width of the boxed in part)
    And keep rows 2 and 4 the ones with the vertical splits but in the middle of columns a, b and c.

I guess it depends where abouts in the room it is as to how it will look in the end and how much you'll notice it.

I have similar in my kitchen. But because the offending box in bit was under the kitchen units, not brick affect but only 30mm deep I cut the 30mm slivver out and continued with whole tiles. By the time I'd fitted the tile trim I don't even notice it!

Found this picture.....shows you roughly what it'd look like using the offcuts to continue around the boxed in part. Looks a bit 'messy'. But I guess they've had to do it that way as the boxed bit is only part way up the tiled wall

(I'm sure a professional tiler will be along soon with an expert opinion lol)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    fizzy2 likes this.
  7. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Thanks. I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, I'm not sure I'd have put the splits where you have above/next to the far side of the sink. I would have split the tiles in half on the side of the cabinet on row 1 &3, or maybe leave 1&3 as single and split row 2 only. That's just my thoughts as an inexperienced tiler and how I perceive it may look better! Maybe there is no right and wrong answer!

Hell68 likes this.
  8. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Oh lordy thats not mine:D. Just a Google pic I found as an example. I'd go with what you've said above. Keep rows 1,3 and 5 whole. Then split 2 and 4 in the middle of. The example just looks messy with too many small cuts. Less is more me thinks

9. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

I'm glad I'm not insulting your work then. I was treading carefully to avoid saying it looks rubbish!
    So just to ask to the point of awkwardness to make sure we are on the same page... the 'splits and wholes' alternating each row, If A-B had the split, would you also split B-C on the same row (both the 2 sides of the box matching)?

Hell68 likes this.
  10. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Lol I thought there was a bit of diplomacy in your reply :D

Yes I'd carry it around the whole boxing. Rows 1,3 and 5 whole as possible tiles rows 2 and 4 with the split. The left of C carry on as you'd done right of A
    I personally think that'll look the neatest