How would you cut Worktop?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by david andrw, Sep 22, 2018.

1. david andrw

david andrw Member

I have a solid walnut top that i want to use as a bar top, with a return on the end. The piece is 3m long by 600mm wide. I want to the entire piece down to 270mm then cut the width to 37cm following it down and the 'L' shape to be 37cm wide.

Bit confusing to put into words but the same shape as this:
    http://martinsrestaurant.net/diy-ba...s-topsail-island-diy-kit-fine-home-design-19/

So..what method would you use to cut it to get the neatest cut please.

2. Mblack

Mblack Member

Doesn’t say thickness, and question is a bit confusing but best way to cut a 40mm thick solid timber work top would be to use a rail/track saw

3. david andrw

david andrw Member

its 40mm thick. thanks

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Keep your measurements the same, you used M, cm and mm and mixed up length, width and depth.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If you've got a rail saw that would be ideal to cut to width but any circular saw will do the job as the cut edge will be hidden against the wall.
    For the return, a router and guide would be best, but comparable results could be achieved with, again 'a rail-saw' or a circular saw and a guide.
    It all depends on what tools you have.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

And difficult to understand.......

Do you mean 270mm or 2700mm? Are you trying to create an L shaped bar top 370mm wide (like the picture)? If so, what are the required lengths of the two outside edges?

Thankfully the work is straightforward and as suggested above would be simplest with a circular saw (either a track/plunge saw or conventional) and a ½" router for the return. If the worktop has a rounded edge profile you might need to replicate that on the barman's side - it can be done by hand but it's easiest with a router.

Bear in mind that some solid worktops are constructed so that the best faces are on display and cutting in to them might expose some more dodgy joins and splices. This is rectifiable but more work for you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    KIAB likes this.
  7. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Also they can be kickbacky and pinch the blade a bit!ie they have some tension built in.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Solid walnut! Can you send me the offcuts, please?

KIAB likes this.
  9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

are you planning on edging with a different colour timber ??
    are you planning on the timbers going crossways as per picture or the more usual along on the long length ??

10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

There are main 2 types, but also many variants of those.
    The "green" one's smell is addictive as Cedar... (Shacky hands):oops:

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Are you part P

Have you informed building control.

Do you have relevant PPE

Have you informed your neighbours that you may work weekends.

Do you have the necessary architect specs and engineers report

Do you have a handling heavy weight cert.

Can you read a tape measure upside down.

Can you use a tape measure from left to right and from right to left.

Do you know how often you should clean your patio?

Are you spam.

Did you vote brexit from Ireland.

Do you have a life outside of this forum

If you can answer yes/no/ or wtf to any of the above then you are ready to go.

Either use a rail/plunge saw or a regular circular saw with a clamped guide.

You may need to take a couple of passes depending on the saw used.

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Pollowick

Minor problem ... what I want to know is why is he cutting/wasting some much.

The last 2m plank of rough sawn 200x 40 walnut I purchased was around £40 So, what will a 3m length of 600x40 (finished) be costing?

13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

I'm reporting you for the theft! :D
    last time I had black walnut door frame to make and fit (mouldings in beech.. long story), for x3 180mm 2.1m 30mm finish planks I paid something like £150, that's something like 8 years ago
    I bet you, them worktops are £250+ each length and if of good seasoning manufacture £350+ although don't look that sort, just average IMHO

14. Pollowick

:) :p

That was £40 +VAT ... I also used a company - Goldbergs, who are/were at the top of the chain and I could even select the length I wanted.

AlvyChippy likes this.