How would you finish this skirting?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mark Griffiths, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

Hi all

I've just laid a new floor in one of 2 rooms which have are open plan to each other. At the point where I will fit a threshold strip on the floor I need to match the skirting boards up, however there is a difference in height and profile.

Both skirting's are ogee, but different brands.

How would you finish this corner for a non-horrible join?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If reducing the depth of the higher floors skirting is off the table or changing the lower level skirting for a deeper one to match the top (which would be the best finish), either return mitre the two at the intersection or fit two mitred pieces of 2x1 at the corner the same height as the higher level then run the two skirting into that, sort of like a corner plinth block. It is possible to mitre the higher level skirting around the corner and mitre it into the lower skirting, but it would look clumsy and odd as there would be too much moulding showing for such a small transition between levels, in my opinion.

Edit, just looked closer and read the 'different brands' part, in that case go with the corner plinth block, easiest solution.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Same thoughts here Jord........going to have to be a feature without being an obvious eye catcher,.......Got it....pot plant! :rolleyes:....good luck I'm sure something will come to mind.

Hans_25 likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, slot machine or beer pump would do nicely there.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sash window parting bead between the mitres may work whereas Jord's idea would be more of a discrete feature.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  6. Mark Griffiths

Corner plinth is a great shout Jord, thank you so much. That hadn't even crossed my mind at all.

I agree that a matching skirting would be best, but I'm pretty sure that if I try to remove the current skirting then it would pull chunks of plaster off the wall as it did a fair bit of damage in the other room.

I'll make a block up tomorrow, then find a beer pump to put in front of it

Thanks again.

longboat and Jord86 like this.
  7. Mark Griffiths

I knocked this up yesterday afternoon, added a bit of height and mitred returns to finish it off. It is 6 pieces all glued up, primed & resting in place in these photos.

I'll be painting and installing the skirting this weekend for this room.

Thanks again Jord, this was a great shout!

Attached Files:

8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Mark

Wow nice job Buddy
    I maybe looking a the original photos wrongly.
    But is that 2 floors different heights.
    Or do I need new specs ?

Johnny M

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yes it's at different heights.. Hence the need for this solution

Mark Griffiths likes this.
  10. Mark Griffiths

Thanks Jomel, yes flooring is different heights unfortunately so I'll be adding a stepped threshold strip once the skirting is down. Pretty happy with how this plinth worked out TBH.

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Mark

Wow I thought I was going to to buy new specs.
    Its such a relief lol

Take care

Johnny M

Mark Griffiths likes this.
  12. Mark Griffiths

Not quite finished as I need to caulk the edges and hide the nail heads, but you get the idea.

I think it’s a really neat job of hiding something that otherwise could have been a bit unpleasing to the eye.

thanks again for all of your suggestions.

1C4501D1-4905-4B60-A796-41A624C7E942.jpeg

McSport likes this.