Howdens Trade Account

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jan 8, 2021.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Anyone know what I need to be able to open an account with Howdens?

I'm not in the trade full time, I just do renovation work occasionally, anyone know if they'll let me open an account? They seem to want "proof of trade status" according to their website

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I got an account because my wife is a landlady... I didn't tell lies and said I was only going to fit a kitchen in one property.
    They want the business. I got an account...

Same story at Benchmarx

Cando

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

Cheers Cando, I'd hoped that would be the case.

4. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Reckon it would work if the wife is just a wife?

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just go in the branch in work clothes covered in paint and silicone taking a made up business card or flyer with you, they really couldn't give a monkeys for the formalities, they just want the business. Be prepared for phone calls every fortnight off an attractive sounding sales girl asking "if you need anything?"

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. BiancoTheGiraffe

I'll let you know how strict they are, I'm not even married!

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I have to have a chuckle to myself on threads like this. Anyone can have a trade account with them, next to no checks are done. What most members of the public don't know or think about though, is that they have zero consumer protection when buying on a trade account.
    That's why the likes of Howdens and Benchmarx get away with what they do.
    Yep, set up you iffy trade account, buy your kitchen, then when it all goes belly up.................try getting you money back. You are suddenly not a retail customer...............you are just trade.................it's then you really do wish that you were retail.

RolandK and Dam0n like this.
  8. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Thinking about it, you might not get what you expect in terms of 'trade' discount either. I can remember buying from a merchant years ago and they gave me 'trade'. Only later did I discover that there's Trade A, Trade B etc. What I was getting in terms of discount was somewhere between zero and b#gg#r all. Don't know if its still the case.

9. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Interesting...
    But given the savings it may well be worth the risk!

Cando

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Savings? DIY sheds will have ago at matching or even beating the howdens price and throw in some white goods...