Howdens what discount could I get

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Suffolk amateur, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Suffolk amateur

Suffolk amateur New Member

We've opened Howdens account as we're doing our own extension, The kitchen brochure shows 50% discount off prices, but these still seem quite expensive to me.

Would we be likely to get a better discount than that,as I'd read on here that some get 80% discounts. I understand you professionals who buy a lot from them would get more, but what do you suggest for us.
    We also need to buy other items from them, including 8 interior doors etc.Thanks

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

no disrespect meant but it pi sses me off when i hear this, howdens used to be, and still should be trade only, a few years ago i could mark up thier prices and still compete with b n poo and mfi.
    now i am losing lots of supply to mfi etc as howdens arnt that cheap any more.
    fitted a mfi kitchen a while ago and the customer had been given a price off both, mfi won hands down, only thing was there was no decor end panels, not enough plinth/cornice/pelmet, seems they are cutting down on the supplied items to win the sale.

every time i go in my local branch there is jp that has set up an account buying stuff, getting the same price as me and i have been fitting mainly thier stuff for over 4 years.

anyway rant over, it depends on what your buying 40-80% is about right

russ

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

sign of the times sir, plenty of places prepared to sell at cost+4 these days

4. timmypoppet

timmypoppet New Member

Would have to agree with everything Russ says. Howdens used to be cheap but I very rarely use them for pricing now as I can get fully colour co-ordinated kitchens at a better price although they are flat back they still come in cheaper and dont have great lumps off glue running all over them paper thin backs and my w-tops also come straight.

5. JOCK 2004

JOCK 2004 New Member

Totally agree with what Russ295 says Howdens will supply anybody a "trade" price even dare I swear DIY'rs.

6. lojo

lojo New Member

Go and ask? Each branch, salesperson differs, but each item has a bottom line price.

If you know a tradesman who has a good relationship with howdens then perhaps you could ask them to supply only, if they get alittle something out of it.

I get very good deals at howdens and sometimes just do this, I get a little something for my time arranging and the customers still gets a very good deal compared to the bottom line price they could secure, everyone wins and nothing is hidden

7. lojo

lojo New Member

There is no such thing as a "trade price" just a small or large mark up/profit for the suppliers depending what they can sell it for. You dont always have to be trade to get the "trade price" and you are'nt always sure to get the best price if you are, unless you are known to the sales person at time of order

8. russ295

russ295 New Member

i am in my local often, first name terms, one of about 5 recommended fitters in a very busy branch, i fitted thier showroom out for peanuts, the managers tops for free, sorted problems out with customers that has left me out of pocket and still get shafted when i go in!

think i need to find another supplier!

russ

9. JOCK 2004

JOCK 2004 New Member

Just being to my local Howdens in Yeadon, Leeds to pick up my kitchen quote for a client. Well when I picked myself up off the floor I was amazed. Got a retail price of CAPLE, a great product £6500 less my discount, same product from Howdens £9250 inc my discount. You are obviously talking a difference of £1000's of pounds not hundreds. I think this is taking the ** to the max. I will not be using them again as much as I have being. BE WARNED!!!

[Edited by: admin5]