Humming from walls 24/7 - driving me crazy :(

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by corpjones, Dec 8, 2020.

1. corpjones

corpjones New Member

Hi All

I'm hoping someone can assist, I live in a terraced house and a few days ago my walls have started making a constant humming sound, during the day its a annoyance but at night is the main issue as I just cannot sleep, sometimes it stops for a min but then restarts again, i've had someone else also hear it so I know its not just me.

If I put my ear against the wall its worse on one side of the house, it almost sounds like a air con unit running, I've already contacted the neighbour whos confirmed he's not had anything installed and he cannot hear anything (however hes a elderly gentleman), 3 doors down there is a house thats doing major works but not sure if that should effect me becuse of the distance.

I did shut off all power to the house however the noise persisted so I know it cannot be electrical or my boiler etc.

My only other thoughts are to shut off gas and water, not holing out much hope as it does sound like a fan kind of noise.

Advice would be appreciated as at this rate I may have to look at selling my house just for my sanity :)

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Which is what a heat pump is, so has a neighbour had a heat pump installed?

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Dehumidifier?

4. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

What’s being done 3 doors down? Are they running a pump/generator/heater?

5. corpjones

corpjones New Member

Neighbour hasn't had anything installed, however he thinks the other house (3 doors away from me) has brought in some humidifiers, would something 3 doors away effect my house though?

I'm not sure what the other house 3 doors away from me are doing but I can see some scaffolding etc..

6. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

You really need to find out what equipment is being used, even if it’s just to rule it out.

7. corpjones

corpjones New Member

I have tried to find out but there's no answer, I'll keep trying, only info I have got is from my immediate neighbour who thinks he saw some humidifiers going into that house.

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Radon extactor fan in the loft?

9. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

If the contractor is using some heavy duty dehumidifiers to dry the place out it’s not outside the realms of possibility for you to hear them. Have you checked with the neighbours on the other side?

Are you hearing the sound or feeling the vibrations?

10. corpjones

corpjones New Member

Can just hear it, can't feel any vibrations, the neighbour is elderly and has not heard anything, the other neighbour there's been no answer when I've knocked on the door.

11. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Unfortunately you’re stuck until you can investigate further. You lose the range of frequencies (very high and very low) as you age so your neighbour may not hear anything. I would suggest staying with a friend but in these restricted times you’ve got a bit of a conundrum on your hands.

12. corpjones

corpjones New Member

True, my concern is this noise will not stop or its actually my house generating it, however as I turned off all power to the house it's unlikely I guess.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you can hear it then apart from the elderly neighbour unless the rest of the terrace are stone deaf someone else will have the same sound in their property providing it actually is to do with the house being renovated. Though I find it hard to visualise that a house three doors up has such a pump or dehumidifier that causes humming in your walls even in the middle of the night as there surely would be more cases of this scenario and more people raising issue.

14. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

report it as a cannabis farm!

Jord86 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any tokers, ahem, takers? Yeah, old Uncle Albert next door is secretly the local drug lord, "never heard nuffin guvnor".

16. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Did you ever find out what this was?

17. Kdiggidy

Kdiggidy New Member

This sounds exactly like what's just happened at my new house, night number 2, just fallen asleep, 11.30pm and the loudest vibrations, it sounds like the neighbour is drilling or hoovering the walls...
    Please let me know if you solved this?

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Any chance it is a water leak causing pipe noise, have you tried the water and gas off yet?

19. Kdiggidy

Kdiggidy New Member

So I spoke to the neighbour and he confessed that he has trapped air in the pipes and he was running a bath at least now I know it's not my house I can try and sleep through it next time!

teabreak likes this.