I don't know if...

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Mar 23, 2014.

1. these drills are any good, but TTP has the most shockingly amateurish videos I have ever seen from a professional company ever.

They are almost parodies.

Just listen to the intro - how many whooshes, thuds, bangs and crash sounds - with swooping graphics - do they need? It's like the wonderful 'Brass Eye'. And then there's the hesitant narrations - utterly priceless...

"See how it's offset?" "Yeah..." "That wun there..." "Yeah"... etc etc etc.

More thuds bangs whooshes to finish with.

And then they test it - ohmagawd... I mean, don't bother using a vice that's actually clamped down to a bench or anything... :rolleyes: Unless the guy was pushing the drill so hard he lifted the whole workbench off the ground?

The darned bit even gets stuck when almost all the way through... It's a bleedin' miracle that the bit didn't snap with all the movement

Hilarious. Who are these guys...!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

perhaps its a ' no fancy talking salesman' approach, giving the down to earth workmen use these because they;re good ploy,
    If I did't know any better, I'd say they're using my shed to make those videos, ;)

3. I don't believe it Tom; you have your vice bolted down.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Several mentions of not needing a centre pop and then they use one.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Just gonna say that Chip. "No need to centre punch on curved surfaces." then right at the beginning the chap (with his back to us) has just so obviously used one (and he hit it twice) and when the bolt's removed from the vice, they've actually drilled through the flat bit on the bolt. :D:D:D:D:D:D

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

OMG....They arer taking the p**s ain't they? :p

7. I forgot about that bit, Chips and JJ - blocking the screen for a goodly time with his back (jeez...) as the cove fumbled away. And then the unmistakable clunk of a centre-punch in use.

It's jaw-dropping. ly hilarious.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All the things they say about the cutting angles are standard.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. malkie129

The theory is good chippie, but sharpening by hand on a grinder, I try to aim for about 130...If it cuts OK...Bloody bonus. LOL :cool:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used to be pretty good at it years ago when I worked in metal but nowadays it's more luck than judgement.
    I used to work with an engineer who could grind a 10mm drill down to pilot at 5mm and then countersink in metal.

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you want to drill really hard metal, sharpen up a masonry bit.;)

ProFast Plastering likes this.
  12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

anyone ever got one of those off that sales telly program, i think its called drop price t.v or summut, they sell a set of drills that go throu brick,steel,wood,glass,tiles,a file, yes a file then a vice,then another drill, they're about £20 for a set. I'm tempted to get one its called, 'the only drill you'll ever need' I'm sure it can't be that good, but its on sale very often,

anyone got one?:confused:

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

http://www.drillalldrillbits.com/

Good in thick hard steel, but try drilling thin sheet metal and they jam up and even snap the end off, I know because I've got some, they are not rated very well if you look around the net, lots of peeps on there moaning about them.

14. malkie129

Phil,you can probably sharpen a masonry drill, but you need a "green grit wheel", so may as well use Bosch multi material drills......As for drilling a file, I bet they've annealed the bugger first. :(