I Got Wood, but I don't know what to do with it

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shanks Kop, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Shanks Kop

Shanks Kop New Member

Hi all,

Just stripped back a staircase and side skirting (no idea the official name) and it's come up in quite a healthy state.

If I wanted to leave as is and retain the current colour. I've no idea the type of wood it is.

What if any treatments would you all recommended and any pitfalls of doing so.

I'm guessing
    • Some form of wax/oil is required
    • I also read that wood turns grey is that solely due to sun or the naturally occurring oil on our hands?
    All help greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Shanks Kop

Shanks Kop New Member

Any advice on this one?

3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm pretty sure that the "greying" you refer to is due to the effect of weather, sun, wind and rain... It's shouldn't be an issue indoors.
    Regarding what the wood is, I don't know. What to finish with is really up to you, however, in my humble opinion if you are going to keep it as wood, (i.e. not painted), you must get every bit of the previous paint removed. Just a tiny bit is a crease really spoils the appearance.. I think!
    If you do use an oil or wax finish I suspect it would be really difficult to subsequently paint over if you were to change your mind. A varnish wouldn't as much of an issue.

Note that I'm not suggesting one or the other is better... just thinking out loud what might you might want to consider!

Good luck with it all,

Cando

Shanks Kop likes this.
  4. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I’m a big fan of danish oil. Nice colour and covers up the odd imperfection/mistake quite well.

Shanks Kop likes this.
  5. Shanks Kop

Shanks Kop New Member

Any particular brand you're in favour of ?

6. Roys

Roys Active Member

Is that a 60’s built house?
    Parana Pine was used quite a lot then and noting some of the colour streaks running through it, it may well be Parana Pine, lovely wood if it is and you can’t buy it new anymore.
    I stripped my stair case as it is Parana Pine and I stripped it a year ago and it looks fab, treated it with a water based clear matt floor varnish, nothing too shiney as it is the stairs. Quite expensive but very good, it was Homebase own stuff.

Attached Files:

S.Kuster likes this.
  7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Normally what’s available from our hosts or the other place is fine.