I have power at the top of my garden

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Michelle Harvey, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Michelle Harvey

Michelle Harvey New Member

Hi, I have power outside 32 feet away from the house, where it is connected via wiring at the back of a socket in the house. The outside socket box is waterproof but does not have a RCD. The mains supply in the house does have a RCD. I recently bought a secondhand hot tub with no inline RCD. If I fit a RCD plug to the hot tub and connect at the top of my garden is it safe? Please advise, thank you

2. sparko69

sparko69 Active Member

Fitting an RCD would probably make it a bit safer than it is but won't necessarily make the whole installation safe.
    A hot tub filled with water and dodgy wiring...what could go wrong???

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

How have you confirmed it is connected to the back of a socket in the house? Where/what is the socket which is 32 feet away mounted to? What cable has been used to connect to this socket, and is it buried or trailed along a fence for example? How did you confirm the outside socket is waterproof? From your description i presume the hotub is of the plug n play type? Most unusual for it not to have the inline RCD fitted, has this been removed by previous owner? The inline RCD usually fitted by the manufacturer is rated @ 230/240v 10ma Ip66.

4. Michelle Harvey

Thank you for the replies. I know it is in the back of a socket because I paid an electrician to have the power put in previously. It's only since I bought the hot tub and searched how to install safely that I now have concerns. I know it is waterproof because it has a IP66 rating. The cable runs up the side of a wall and the outside socket is mounted to the wall approx 3 feet above the ground. I thought they all came with an RCD in line too, when I went back to the seller they say this one did not. I have just bought an extension from tough leads, it has is 10ma instead of 30ma for hot tubs. What else would you suggest to make this safe? Would you recommend the outside power is scrapped and i arrange for an electrician to attach to new one to my mains board, will it need a earth rod because of the distance? Thanks again

5. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

The 13AMP Hot Tub simply plugs into a standard domestic power supply so all you need for the 13AMP Hot Tub is an outdoor waterproof plug socket with RCD protection.

You say,”I know it is in the back of a socket because I paid an electrician to have the power put in”. You also say, “The mains supply in the house does have a RCD.” Photo of the consumer unit will help us to determine as to wether or not your sockets are protected by the RCD in your consumer unit. Photo of outdoor cable & socket may also help.

6. Michelle Harvey

Here’s my mains board and a picture of the cable, the socket is at the top of the garden. I decided against plugging the hot tub in there because of the research I did advising against it, I am now using a socket in the house.i really appreciate the advice and time from you all, thank you

Attached Files:

7. Monty125

Monty125 New Member

Is the cable outside SWA or just Twin and Earth?

8. Michelle Harvey

It’s PRISMIAN basic electric cable 300/500v, bs600/6242y, 2x2.5+1.5, it doesn’t mean anything to me but I’m sure you know. Just to clarify I haven’t plugged hot tub in to it because research spooked me. I’ve plugged it in to a house socket, when I reset and test the 30ma RCD plug for the hot tub it doesn’t trip when I reset.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Get a qualified electrician back to put in a proper supply what he has done is dangerous, you do not use that cable outside you must use swa or other suitable cable. Do not plug anything in it its done properly.. it will need proper planning and testing..

10. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Can we have a photo where the cable goes in to the garden socket. From say three feet away..

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The numpty who installed that cable is NOT an electrician. I get tired of seeing installations that are well below standard and the person who does it never getting challenged or prosecuted or made to make it compliant. What a bloody joke. How much did he charge you for that lashup? If he was going to run the cable along the wall why not cleat an SWA? Any decent electrician would.

12. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

In the place I meant it to be ...

In my early career I was doing some work on a fairly remote island, It did have power though.

Those who arrived first had run 100m of 2.5 T&E from a farm, down a hedgerow and into an old lorry that was being used. It worked fine for what was needed.

Eight years later, I went there on holiday and wandering down a path next to the field we had used, there in the hedgerow was the original T&E and no visible signs of degradation.

I am not saying it was/is totally safe, however it did what was needed and the cable stood up to the elements fairly well.

13. Michelle Harvey

£120 cash, any advice re way forward? I really don’t know how these things work

14. Michelle Harvey

Thank you for this, I am just worried about risking water and electric etc. I really need it to be as safe as possible, I really don’t know how to move forward with this

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Take it you didn’t get any test paperwork for this

16. Teki

Teki Active Member

17. Michelle Harvey

18. Teki

Teki Active Member

19. Michelle Harvey

No, I wouldn’t do that, I have got to get an electrician to do it, I don’t want to mess about with electricity, especially when there is water involved. However, my previous experience shows I am not great a choosing them

20. Michelle Harvey

Should they provide paperwork?