I have to use 110v on-site. HSS hire gave me 240v with RCCB? -who is right?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billybongos, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. billybongos

    billybongos New Member

    College told me that I should only use 110v, as its a centre tapped transformer, and any fault in usage will not kill me at all, as its centre tapped to earth...

    So why did HSS hire, let me use a PAT tested appliance with 240v to be used on site(my house) with a RCCB MCB?

    who is correct? - my lecturers, HSS hire, the HSE, the regs?

    thanks everyone!

    cheers ;)
  2. MR DIAZ

    MR DIAZ Active Member

    Where in the regs does it say 110V for site ?
  3. orbital

    orbital Member

    Don't forget, hard hat, steel capped boots, permit to work (from the Mrs)

    Full risk assessments, Health and Safety policy, warning and manditory notices posted at the front door. Make sure you have a COSHH storage area
    the list goes on. Fire policy, first aid, employee records, provision of PPE, designated waste contractor...

    The drill (or what ever) is the last of your worries.
  4. unphased

    unphased Screwfix Select

    Where in the regs does it say 110V for site ?

    Section 704. It depends how you interpret "site". If you consider your home as a construction site when you do any work on it then so be it. For example, 704.1.1 (ii). 704.411.3.1 would potentially interfere with domestic situations anyway. Common sense approach would be warranted. 110V is sensible for any situation. I only tend to use rechargeable tools meself. :)
  5. chezzboy

    chezzboy New Member

    Hope your bird's got a CSCS card to get on this "site".

    You're the site manager mate, its completely up to you.

    It's like a lot of sites won't allow stepladders any more. It's just the head honchos wanting zero accidents.
  6. bigjules

    bigjules New Member

    You don't 'have' to use 110v on site - as far as I am aware, 110v is purely a recommendation under current regs......

    HOWEVER - no site manager worth his salt should permit 240v to be used because, as previously posted, it's lethal-ness is considerably greater than 110v, if you see what I mean.

    All in all, isn't most H & S purely common sense?

    As a counterpoint and further to the original question, a private individual can legally do what ever you like in your own home without regard to your own safety - no masks, goggles, toe boots, hard hats or what ever...........
  7. Eye Squared R

    Eye Squared R New Member

    If you consider your home a 'site' then take back the kit and hire some 110v gear or battery powered kit. If anyone is to blame here then it is you for being feckless and devoid of clear direction to the supplier. LOOK IN THE MIRROR and have a stern chat with yourself

    'Site' requirements acknowledge the unfriendly nature of the working environment with many trades working around each other and potentially causing damage to trailing leads. The 55-0-55v transformer is an excellent idea in those circumstances. If you are doing a DIY job at home as a one man band then does that have the same level of risk? Carry out your Health&Safety Risk Assessment and comply with your findings. You might want to waste a pile on dosh on a NEBOSH course to make sure you are competent to do . . . . . .
  8. MR DIAZ

    MR DIAZ Active Member

    Haven´t RCD circuits always complied with the reg as an alternative to 110V

    It was just the most sites only permitted 110V machinery

    I2R did you sort it out in Spain ?
  9. The 110V (55-0-55) option is far safer Mr Diaz.


  10. Eye Squared R

    Eye Squared R New Member

    Hi Mr D,

    I contacted Siemens regarding the 5SX1, ICP-M @ 25A. It went from Uncle Sam to the UK and they offered a SX2 replacement but didn't recognise the item in question. I sent then photos and they came back with Spec Sheets for the South American market and said the item was manufactured in Brazil but not for sale in Europe? He also said is was a 3kA rated device but withdrew that when I queried the '6000' legend on the actual device. They could give no meaning for the 'ICP-M' legend.

    So they were very helpful to a point but didn't really give me information that seemed to be 100% applicable.
  11. DewaltÆ User

    DewaltÆ User New Member

    any way what was the tool in question? a hair dryer, hair straighteners, heated curlers? you didnt say
  12. SW

    SW New Member

    Although rather bluntly put, Eye squared is right - it's YOUR responsibility to ensure that you use the right equipment - if the site manager allows it to happen and an accident occurs, you will both be responsible.

    The regs have references to site equipment in several places and refers to 110v center tapped supplies. Any question in exams regarding site equipment has a 110v (Yellow) plugs en60309 if i'm correct.
  13. sparkin!

    sparkin! New Member


Share This Page