I knew there was a reason I don't normally hire tradesmen ....

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by W20ADM, Aug 10, 2022.

1. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

Seriously, 4.9 out of 5 star customer reviews are pointless.....

I want a small 4 foot fence putting up outside my small front garden by the public footpath border, so I hired a local fence company.

4.9 star reviews out of 5 based on hundreds of customers, surely gonna be a good experience.....

Nope!!! Messaged the boss on Monday to ask when he's or his cronies are coming, Wednesday he said. Gets to 1pm, no one turns up, message the boss again to make sure I had the correct day. "Yes it's today" he says, "the lads should be there shortly" ..... fast forward to past 2.30pm, still no one here, message the boss again, no reply. Obviously no tradesman is gonna start a job at 2.30/3pm in the afternoon, they're all knocked off by 3.15 .....Seriously, tradesmen these days must be loaded if they can afford to just not turn up for a job, and looks like I'm back to those post a job tradesman searching websites to get someone else.....

Why did I decide to hire a tradesman .... just why ....

2. You know a lot of the people on here are tradesmen right? :D

Kitfit, longboat and Astramax like this.
  3. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

Yep, and its their chance to prove me wrong ;)

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know this one...
    Is it because you can't or won't do it yourself?

5. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

I could probably do it myself, but I'm currently mired in DIY, painting etc up to my elbows. I just needed some help to take a job or 2 off my list. If it wasn't possible to turn up today, a simple text apologising and saying they'll be there tomorrow would've been fine. I'm not unreasonable.

6. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

I had sort of opposite this - I had a guy come round to price a job, it was about an hours work. He spent 2 hours rabbiting on about everything under the sun - I deliberately didn't offer him a cuppa - so eventually I said how much, he says I'll have to get back to you. Next bloke came round and said he would do it straight away - all sorted. About two weeks later the first bloke gets in touch wants 4 times what I'd already paid and didn't know what day or date - :rolleyes:

7. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I can certainly agree that reviews are almost pointless nowadays. They are too easy to game.

Best advice, if you can get a word-of-mouth recommendation that's the best. If not, look for somebody local, with a sign written vehicle. I understand having sign-written vans, etc can be a tough subject because of van break-ins but I think if somebody is prepared to have their name on display whilst they're working somewhere they are more likely to believe in their standards and workmanship.

8. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

It's just all about communication. I'm a man of the world, I realise some customers can be unrealistic * with their expectations and that there's a heavily practical side to manual work that can chop and change as more things are uncovered. But I'm fine with that! As long as they let me know! one text saying "sorry the job will have to be postponed til tomorrow due to x and y" etc.

I messaged him again asking if they will be there tomorrow and he replied and said yes they will. No apology or him taking the initiative to inform me first, I had to initiate the conversation about it instead. That's pretty bad inexcusable customer service. Does it sound too unreasonable to send a quick truthful text? Rather than tell me they should be there shortly when they blatantly weren't going to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2022
  9. No one is saying there aren’t some bad tradesmen out there but it’s a bit much to come on here and lump everyone in the same boat lol, all because you’ve had a bad experience today

10. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Well, if they're no flaming good, dump them and get someone else!

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yes, and we all have 5* reviews on Checkatrade, Checkatrade.com.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  12. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

That's as much use as a paper condom. So many of those things are faked and many don't post bad reviews anyway. As already said word of mouth is generally the way forward if you can get it.

They said they'd be here tomorrow so they got 1 more chance. Then I will follow mry's advice :)

and I know there are good tradesmen out there, they're just hard to find.

13. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Text does not carry tone. If a customer sends a text -Are you still coming today. Could you let me know-, and the tradie is already having a problematic day, the immediate reaction is * they are angry with me as well", and go doggo.
    The customer would feel like a waffley bell end if they sent- Hi Clive, its getting late in the day. I am fine if your team come today, or the job can wait til tomorrow no problem. Could you let me know if they are still coming here today, I need to go out for 10 minutes.
    A lot of waffle, but it avoids the unintended impression of criticism.
    Text is a bad way of communicating. Useful, but bad

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2022
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Considering that you’ve asked this forum for free advice before this post today would surely indicate that real tradesmen are worthy enough to listen to when it suits.

The fact that you’ve text or emailed a firm on Monday with regards to them starting on Wednesday doesn’t help the sympathy vote for you in the slightest. What did you honestly expect, you got a bunch of pikeys promising you they’d be there and you fell for it, now you’re tarring all tradesmen with the same brush via your thread title, they are not tradesmen, a 95 year old blind woman can write an online review, it means nothing as you’ve found out.

15. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

Oh it wasn't arranged Monday. He said Monday was the day he'd know what day they were coming and it was either the Tuesday or wednesday that same week. I got the quote a few weeks ago. Reputable local firm.

And yes I value anybody that takes their time as a decent human being and gives advice using their expertise. It's the things you would think would be basic common sense that always seem to go by the wayside.

16. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

When he turned up when he said he would for the free survey and was perfectly polite and competent sounding I never expected I would be getting this second impression.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you so wished you would get all the advice off this forum that you’d need to do the job yourself and save a fair amount of money, but your thread title is not a good start.

18. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I'd assume that most of the trades on here would agree with the OP!

19. W20ADM

W20ADM Member

Its just finding time to go out to get all the materials, I'm pretty sure I could knock up a fence if I had all the lumber, I've recently replaced some fence posts using a farm jack to remove the old ones and purchasing some new brackets and posts off ebay. It's just with my redecorating the landing and stair panels I need this to take a bit of the load off.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

concentrate on getting your landing done. If they don’t show by the time you’ve finished, then diy