I know I shouldn't but maybe it will be ok?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 16, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I have made a picture/art frame from some mild steel angle 40mm x 40mm 3mm.

Mitred the corners and then mig welded the pieces together.
    Then I've give it a go over with a grinder and flap wheel.
    I was surprised how it started to buff up and shine.

I really wanted it rustic/rusty looking so I've give it a splash of vinegar and left it outside in garden.
    Already its started to rust and gain some patina.

I want to seal in the rust /patina so was going to leave it outside in the weather for a week then bring it in and let it dry and then seal it with some lacquer.

I normally only spray water based paints due to ease of washing out and fumes and drying.

I have some water based floor varnish so was going to spray it with that until it's got a good build up and then see what happens?

I know I should be using a spirit based lacquer but all I'm trying to do is seal in the rust and in the end after multiple coats it will be sealed from the elements.
    The picture frame will be used in doors.

Any thoughts?

2. welshblue

welshblue New Member

Have you considered a Finishing Wax ?
    Clear Briwax or similar on metal can give a great look whilst still protecting the metal from further oxidisation

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks I will experiment, only trouble is the rust is surface rust so any rubbing of it might remove it while spraying it should keep it where it is?

4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

A lot of art work is achieved through trial and error, until you are satisfied with the result. It doesn't come easy.

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks

It was outside for 6 days rusting.
    I brought it in and i didn't really like the rusting!

Can not believe how much it rusted in 6 days..

So I got my grinder and flap disc out and brought it back to shiny steel.

I then give it a couple of coats of waterbased floor varnish that I had in and it sort of turned it all over with little dark rust spots and the shine disappeared..

So cleaned all that off with my grinder again..

I think it looks better shiny steel so I'll try some Bri /bees wax I have. I read that if you go over it with a hot air gun it melts it and gets into the pores of the metal and then a few full coats of wax?

Any other ideas?

6. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Post a photo! ;)

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Active Member

What about a spray can of clear lacquer?

8. welshblue

welshblue New Member

I've always found it best to heat the metal and then apply a thin layer of wax, buffing before the next 'cold' layer, and buff the next etc

The beauty of briwax is if you wanted to add a new covering of say paint, some mineral spirits gets rid quickly

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

What actually is bri wax? I have a tin of furniture wax from aldi says suitable for going over painted furniture?

10. welshblue

welshblue New Member

It's a finishing wax that you can use over chalk paint etc to add some durability so I guess the Aldi stuff is the same.
    It comes in a range of 'wood' colours that you can use. Also natural/ clear Sometimes to enhance natural wood ... on chalk paint you can get some interesting looks by mixing colours.
    Upcyclers use it a lot

11. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Used many 5 litre tubs of Briwax in the 1990s as used it as the finishing wax on antique stripped pine furniture in the Antique Brown colour, excellent wax but use in a well ventilated area as contains Toluene and is flammable so take care with the heat application method.;)