I need help with an obsolete kitchen tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lemonade, Jun 26, 2019.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

My hot tap is leaking in the kitchen so I contacted bristan to find out the part number of the tap gland and they told me the part is obsolete and these are the only glands that would fit into the body of that tap. So would anyone know whats the alternative to Bristan 99065XX02S as I bought the bristan tap valves from screwfix (8367j) but they are shorter than the original and the original has 24 splines.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. lemonade

lemonade Member

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use eBay and Internet to get bits. Take photos and message sellers.. Tapman on ebay is good. You can get most stuff so don't be put off if told discontinued. Rubbish! Post info and pics here for more help if needed

The Teach likes this.
  5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I've had the new valve can't seal off so deeply problem which I suspect may apply here. I found a fix from a plumbers merchant that has been around for a very long time. Sort of plastic part that fits in the area where that the seal would normally seal on. Worked for some time and now can't get the plastic bit out and I doubt if the part can be easily found as an old idea. It uses a different style of tap washer as well.

A new tap for me is rather difficult. Mixer tap and found one of the correct dimensions on ebay but when it arrived I measured it and found that one has been changed as well. The pipes for the tap come out of the wall. So need to make some parts on my lathe to extend the modern length. Just a thicker bit to carry the washer.

John
    -

6. lemonade

lemonade Member

Would you have a link to tapman on ebay. I've spoken to a few plumbing places on live chat and not one have had a clue so they told me to buy new taps. One website was showing the part I needed but it was discontinued so I asked if they had an alternative and they said we may sell something similar unfortunately I am not technical and can not recommend one. I would advise you to contact the manufacturers technical department for advise.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

lemonade likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

That can still be purchased from B&Q. It is a reseat and washer pack, but I can’t remember the exact name.
    It won’t work with quarter turn ceramic works though. Only rubber tap washer works.

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Thanks. It did last a few years and suspect the main problem was my wife over tightening taps. We had 2 of the taps. Decided to change the one in the kitchen and then found that rather than holes in brick and a bit of pointing they were set in concrete so that the pipes could be bent back into the wall. Made a right mess and broke several none replaceable tiles. I've moved and replaced the lot there now but don't want to do the same thing in a room that would be an en-suite in a sensible house. :) We don't need one so leaving the conversion to some one else. We just use it for a wash and brushing teeth etc.

John
    -

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I actually installed a set on a pair of old quality basin taps in my home that would tend to drip despite new tap washers and attempts at using a reseating tool.
    The cause of dripping had to be the brass seating deteriorated, but surprised me that those plastic seatings worked perfectly.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Found one of the sets I still have in stock.
    It is called a “full stop washer & seat”
    and is sold in B&Q under the brand “Plumb sure”