I need help with how to fix a leaking rad. Its the plug at the top opposite the bleed plug.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lynda, Apr 8, 2013.

  1. Lynda

    Lynda New Member

    I have a leaking rad.  It is the plug on the opposite side at the top to the bleed valve.  I have tried fitting it with a rubber washer to stop the leak but has not worked.  Have tried wrapping the plug with PTFE tape but still leaks.  Any suggestions?
  2. teabreak

    teabreak Screwfix Select

    Take it out again and wrap in ptfe then add more ptfe and more!  It's suprising just how ptfe goes to nothing once you tighten up!
    Last resort get a tube of Fernox LSX (any plumbers merchant and B&Q but you may need to ask) and use on the thread without ptfe.
    Happy wrapping

  3. Lynda

    Lynda New Member

    Thanks.  Will give it another go.
  4. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    I've just fitted a towel radiator and the inserts for the valves need a lot (and I mean a lot) of ptfe tape round them. Same with the blanking insert. ;)
  5. petertheplumber

    petertheplumber New Member

    Yes John I often do 10 raps on some threads.
  6. wb1627

    wb1627 New Member

    Raps, as in stoopid music or wraps?
  7. Lynda

    Lynda New Member

    Have struggled with PTFE tape. 

    I got so desperate last night I called the gas engineer out this morning.  He has said I can't get replacements for the blanking plate, would have to get a new rad.  He did manage to use enough PTFE tape to seal it though.  So no leak at present but will get a couple of blanking plates for the next time one goes.

    Thanks for all the advice.
  8. Lynda

    Lynda New Member

    Just checked the blanking plates and they are not ones that fit.  Our rads are old and have a chamfer at the ends of the plug.  The screw thread is smaller and set deep inside the rad away from the nut.  Have not seen them in any online plumbers merchants.
  9. wetpants

    wetpants New Member

    You dont need a new rad, that Plumbers talking out of his arris, plenty of blanking plugs on the market ;)
  10. teabreak

    teabreak Screwfix Select

    Well at least it's stopped now:)

    Sounds like the plug slips into a recess but my guess is a 1/2 inch BSP flush plug will do it.
    I can't post a link cos it will whossh away instantly! but search for bes.co.uk plumbing and search for part number 6918 that is an air vent for the other end but shows what the plug would be shaped like, in fact no problem to fit a vent at both ends avnyway.


    Edit It's the larger item to the right.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice