I now hate extractor fans

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by JamieRay, Oct 11, 2019.

1. JamieRay

JamieRay New Member

Hi folks

I won’t bore you with the multiple headaches I’ve had with fitting a new kitchen, other than my conclusion that the supplier’s ‘kitchen designer’ doesn’t have a clue about regulations or practicalities, but anyway..

Having decided that using the recirculating option on the hood above my gas hob was not ideal due to a new fcu positioned directly above the extractor outlet, plus ‘it’s a bungalow’ so it’s relatively straightforward to vent via the roof, I embraced the extra effort in the knowledge I’d ultimately have better extraction.

It’s a 150mm outlet (which the supplier has said cannot be reduced, warranty void, efficiency etc) so I’m planning to go ‘straight up’ with 150mm flexible aluminium duct and connect into a vented tile which has a 150mm connection. The total length of duct will be around 1.8 metres. I’d use solid duct but Sod’s law there’s a joist above so they’ll be a slight bend around it.

I plan to pull the flexi pipe taut but I’m still wondering if I’ll have condensation issues? Adding a trap would be a pain. I’m thinking I could insulate the duct with loft insulation?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. JamieRay

JamieRay New Member

Oh well, done now so I’ll see what happens

upload_2019-10-13_18-11-15.png

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You can get the ali foil flexi duct that’s already insulated, that’s helps to reduce condensation but lofts tend to be red hot in summer and freezing in winter

You could use a combination of flexi to get around joists then solid to go straight up to roof, as you say, then simply insulate the solid pipe

Why would adding a condensation trap be a hassle ?

Fitted at base of vertical pipe and connected with 21.5mm overflow pipe. I T’eed mine into overflow from cold water tank to save another pipe going out under roof line (this is for a shower fan - same principal though)

Solid pipe also better for exhaust rate as less air turbulence and resistance and therefore grease build up

JamieRay likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[QUOTE="DIYDave., post: 1744493, member: 103844"

Solid pipe also better for exhaust rate as less air turbulence and resistance and therefore grease build up[/QUOTE]

And rigid ducting can be round or rectangular,which ever works best for the installation.

Paul12345 and JamieRay like this.
  5. JamieRay

JamieRay New Member

Thanks guys

Yeah maybe I’ll convert to solid pipe from loft floor to roof tile vent and insulate it. Guess I could use plastic soil pipe if that comes in 150mm?
    The distance in loft section is about 1.5 metres so do you think I’d get away without the trap? Physically it’s possible but being a bungalow it’s so shallow at edges of roof and awkward and a well trained squirrel would be handy. Unfortunately nothing else existing to link it into.
    I’ve now become obsessed with this and I’m now worrying about the new extractors for bathroom and ensuite. My electrician has used the white plastic flexi into roof tile vents but no condensation traps or lagging.. maybe different to cooker extraction though?

cheers

6. I had a flexible pipe connecting ceiling bathroom extractor with roof vent. It was about 2m and the vent wasn't directly above the extractor. After a few weeks the flexible pipe sagged and filled up with water which started dripping out of the extractor.

7. JamieRay

JamieRay New Member

Nightmare. Hope you got it sorted ok

8. Nah. I returned it to how it was before I got involved (extractor venting into loft space) then I sold the house.

Dsteel and JamieRay like this.