'Ideal' Combi - Review

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by IanH, Dec 17, 2003.

1. IanH

IanH Guest

Any body got any views on the Ideal combi range?

I've finally managed to get a reasonable quote out of a plumber for CH, but the boiler is an IDeal 28Kw and I can find next to no information about them on this forum. THey seem to be sold by the big resellers which must be a good thing.

Good, bad or indifferent?

thanks

Ian

2. IanH

IanH Guest

COme on chaps. I could do with knowing if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

Ian

3. TheGasman

TheGasman New Member

not the best but ok the new range

4. GJC

GJC New Member

Ian,

Said it before......you get what you pay for!! Pay a little more for a decent top end make is my advice.

Or, to put it another way.......they're the boilers my local council whack in houses here. Whilst of course, they put Worcester-Bosch in the council's own public buildings.

GJ

5. Starheliomos

Starheliomos Member

Gary

Worcester Bosch seems to be one of the makes most recommended by the pros such as yr self together with Valiant.

Could you give us yr opinion of the Saunier Duval range.

I've had SDs fitted in small flats for several years with no problem. Am now deciding which combi make would be best for my 4-bed house.

Ta
    StarH

6. mole

mole New Member

Why do many in the trade slate the Ravenheat condensing combi? It has won a "best boiler" award and is built to the strictest quality control standards. Could it be that it easy to install, has an easy to follow installation manual and costs less that £520, inc flue and VAT, from B&Q Warehouse thus making it easy for the DIY installer - a breed disliked by tradesmen because they feel that they are doing them out of work which I sup[pose is true!
    I would have paid a tradesman (if I could have found one amongst the cowboys) if they had been satisfied with a reasonable payment for their work - but £800 - £1000 labour for less than a dayds work is not on in my book

7. GJC

GJC New Member

starh,

Essentially, professionals are not going to fit the cheap and cheerful, when it falls to bits within a few years, and 'we' will end up with a bad name. Whilst I'm sure many 'so call' Plumbers in large cities don't really care what the public think of them, as there is always another customer waiting to fall victim, we 'Tradesmen' and those in the sticks' trade on our name and do care.

mole,

Before you go off at the deep end.........do you have to pay to work. By the time an RGI has paid if Public Liability Insurance, van Insurance, CORGI Reg, various other outgoings........we're a few £k down a year before we start to earn!!

GJ

8. mole

mole New Member

OK GJC - I take your point about overheads etc and I am all in favour of skilled tradesmen earning an income which recognizes their skills and professional knowledge. However I still think £1200 is a lot for labour. It is a pity that we don't adopt the French system where it is illegal for people to employ non certified tradesmen and it is illegal for tradesmen to undertake work 'on the black' - without offering the statutory 10 year guarantee covering the quality of the work.
    By the way - is it true that plumbers, carpenters and electricians are now earning £85k to £100k in London?

9. Starheliomos

Starheliomos Member

GJ

All noted thanks but can I entice you (or any of your pro mates who are also reading this thread) to nominate their top 3 recommended boiler makes or are all of them much of a muchness?

Cheers
    StarH

10. del

del New Member

mole,
    not everybody earns 100 k a year,i live in the north and fully accredited and only earn 35 k a year inc tax and very conscience at that,but i love what i do ,and customers always come back plus recommend me to others

11. del

del New Member

mole,
    not everybody earns 100 k a year,i live in the north and fully accredited and only earn 35 k a year inc tax and very conscience at that,but i love what i do ,and customers always come back plus recommend me to others

12. del

del New Member

no but i think best value for money is HALSTEAD BOILERS and they are all brits parts, plus not too complicated