Ideal Logic 15 * Advice please (Gas 30 kWh per day?)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rusty28, Sep 14, 2022.

1. rusty28

rusty28 New Member

I have a new build (10 years old now) installed I have a Ideal Logic 15 boiler connected to a Range Tribune HE Unvented Hot Water Cylinder and the boiler is the only appliance in the house that uses gas. Electric everywhere else (cooking, etc) my app is informing me that I am using 30 kWh per day, the boiler is on set to economy (e)?

Before I found out usage, I had a plumber come around cap off a gas pipe and he performed a pressure test before and after and no leaks found. So on the basis there are no leaks..

Why would this be?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

30kw sounds about average.
    It does sound high if your not using your heating though.
    Do you use a fair bit hot water?

3. rusty28

rusty28 New Member

Thanks Mike83, heating hasn’t been on…
    And the answer is no, hot water only gets used once a day for 4 people to shower. Not sure what else to look at. Preheating options?

4. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

Are you sure that the app is reading correctly...where is it getting its data from and what is it monitoring ? - just the boiler gas usage - which is normally in m3 as the kwh is a bit of maths based on water content, calorific value and volume used, so in apps is an approximation at best or is the app showing gas + electricity ...my octopus app kindly shows electricity and gas by default.Start with reading the meter and confirming your gas use over say 24 hours. If you want to test your boiler, heat a tank, turn off the boiler, run the tank down then read the meter and turn the boiler back on and let it heat a tank, read the meter and do the volume to kwh conversion...see google.

Next what is the water heating profile, on all the time, timed, manual ?

5. Nexial

Nexial Active Member

Similar situation, 5 year old new build, Logic 15,indirect tribune cylinder, gas hob, my average usage per day is between 15kWh and 23kWh, four people living in the property, (the figures are according to the smart meter / app via british gas)
    Heating is not being used only used for Cooking, and heating hot water.

I have posted these figures for comparison only.

Is your hot water on a timer or permanently on? (for reference i have mine on a timer to turn on @ 6 am and turn off at 8 am, then again at 3pm and off at 9pm)

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

97210504-63A6-4C7C-88E1-0C06AAD3BE9C.jpeg I’m averaging just under 14kwh per day.
    This is for hot water and hob.
    Hot water on 2 hours in morning, 1 hour in the afternoon, and 2 hours in the evening.
    15kw boiler and 200 litre unvented cylinder.
    These figures are from my energy bill.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

There could be an issue with the cylinder.
    If water is escaping from the tank or pipework this would mean stored water is being lost, so more energy is used to heat the cold water that’s replacing it.

Vin likes this.
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Check how much water is being used each day. Assuming incoming water is maybe 12°C, 30kWh is enough to run a thousand litres through a shower.