Ideal Logic Combi Boiler error message and one stubborn cold radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Greg Lambert, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Greg Lambert

Greg Lambert New Member

Whilst trying to address a stone cold rad in my kitchen I decided it might be worth checking for any errors on the LCD menu of my 8 month old combi and I noticed this message under the setting "Maximum CH Rate":

"Unable to maintain output due to low system load".

I spoke to the Ideal Tech team but they weren't particularly helpful so was wondering if anyone on this forum has ever come across this message before and, if so, what the issue might be?

Worth pointing out I'm have a nightmare trying to get the kitchen rad to work, despite endless attempts at balancing, bleeding, flushing, checking valves etc etc etc....all to no avail. Hot water is reaching the TRV but the rad is stone cold. I got it working one day by closing all the other rads off and then gradually opening the lockshield valves, but the rad was cold again the following day.

Essentially, I have 2 CH loops feeding 9 rads in all, 6 on the original part of the house and 3 on an extension built in the 70's. It's one of the original 6 that's not working in the kitchen, despite it being one of the nearest to the boiler which is located almost above it in the bathroom!

Whoever installed the 3 newer rads used a 22mm to 15mm reducing tee from the boiler to feed them, one is upstairs and the other two downstairs and they all get red hot, despite being furthest from the boiler. Of the remaining 6, 5 of them get warm/hot but nowhere near as hot as the 3 mentioned earlier and of course the kitchen one isn't getting hot at all, although the feed pipe is hot.

Question - So could the 3 rads on the newer extension be "starving " the other 6 of really hot water? Maybe there's a small blockage (although I'm pretty sure there isn't), or could a pipe be kinked/crushed somewhere on the loop feeding the 6 rads? And, more importantly, could this be what's generating the error message appearing on the boiler menu?

Any tips or help would be most appreciated!

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Sounds like a balancing issue for the cold rad.
    Firstly remove the TRV actuator head ,and check the pin in the valve body moves freely down / up when you press down on it ( only moves a few millimetres).
    Then close EVERY other rads TRV's ( don't touch their lockshields). The cold rads lockshield should be fully opened ( anticlockwise).
    Run the central heating ,and it should heat Fully . If it does , your system needs balancing.
    So other rads lockshields need to be closed down ( partially ,not fully) .
    If all your other rads have been heating fully , I wouldn't worry too much about the boiler message ,but contact the installer as it is still under warranty .

3. Greg Lambert

Greg Lambert New Member

Hi terrymac, thanks for your reply. The TRV on the cold rad is brand new and the pin isn't seized so no issue there. I'll go through the process you've suggested, although I think I've already done it :) Maybe second time lucky! Thanks

4. Rog Whitt

Rog Whitt New Member

This is a slightly old thread and you might be sorted now, but should anyone else come across this error message during installation, we had it, couldn't see it anywhere else on the internet but then the installer eventually tracked it down that the factory setting for the water temp was set down at 30 degs C which is far too cold. He set it higher and bingo.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Could also be lack of flow