Ideal Logic Combi Flame Loss problem - advice needed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andy Grow, Dec 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM.

1. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

Hi!
    I bought a house with a boiler installed Ideal Logic 30 Combi. I don't have warranty on it, although it's rather new, of 2015. The whole system has been drained flashed and resealed.
    When I moved in I was just using hot water. When I switched on CH mode, boilers makes a noise before stopping and shows F2 on screen (flame loss). The blue light appears for a few seconds only.
    So, if the blue light switches on for 3-5 seconds and goes down, does it actually count as ignition has started to burn?
    Can it be something to do with a flame detector, or ignition electrode, or spark generator?
    Also I've noticed a small hole in a silicone cover over flame detector electrode, can this be a reason? (on a pic)
    My engineer is abroad now and I'd like to find the reason just to get an understanding how serious the fault is. Is it easy to fix or the whole boiler needs to be changed?
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. ajohn

ajohn Member

This might help page 52

https://acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Ideal/Logic-Combi-Installation-Manual.pdf

Very probably nothing to do with your problem but we had an older style simpler boiler cut out on central heating at times. Called Worcester and they sent an engineer. No fault. Still did it so they came again. Claimed that the gas valve was faulty as it suddenly shot up and replaced it. I asked if they were sure it wasn't just a worn pump - no. Guess what it was. The boiler runs at more kw when heating water hence the reason it shot up. Just mentioned because of the last fix in the fault finding chart. I believe that when the do act up it's usually a jam of some sort. I'm no plumber or installer though.

John
    -

3. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

Thank you John!

4. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Does the boiler have the same fault on heating and hot water or heating only.
    Usually if the boiler has an ignition fault it will affect the operation of both heat/hw

5. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

Well at the beginning it was just on heating, hot water was ok. Now it is on both.

6. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Are the other gas appliances in the house still working?
    Otherwise it sounds like an ignition issue.
    First thing I would check is the condensate trap.

7. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

8. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

the idea of asking that question is to establish if your property is getting sufficient gas pressure for your boiler to ignite,if you have a gas hob or other gas appliance turn it on full and check the flames are reaching the usual height.

Maybe consider getting Ideal to repair then service your boiler,seen many ignition faults on logics. Ranging from lack of (correct) servicing to component failure. The flame detector is not usually a fail item ;).

Them boilers need some tlc from competent service technicians,they have a few unusual faults :(

9. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Well, we don't have anything else running on gas in the property.
    This is the problem: as this boiler had been installed before I moved in, I don't have warranty and it will be quite costly to get the Ideal engineer to check it, especially if it turns out the whole boiler will have to be changed.