Ideas for filling 15mm gap between worktop and wall

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Martin.Stone, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Removed piece of rubber sealing strip to discover a 15mm gap between the worktop and wall (wall is pretty wonky and worktop is a little bit too) so rather than fit a new rubber strip what would you do to fill the gap? I cant get under it so its a bit fiddly, I can run a nice (thick) line of silicone along it afterwards but just cant think whats best to make it look tidy.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

What is the worktop made from?

Can you make a small upstand - oiled timber for a wooden top, or painted. Make it 50mm high and it can easily blend in. Could be square, angled, curved ...

If you fill the void with silicon, stuff some rolled up paper in there first to form a base, then smear a first layer on it, well below the surface and leave it rough. Once cured put the finishing layer on to bring it flush before adding an upstand.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Post of picture of what you’ve got now, as above, how you finish this depends on worktop and wall materials

Your looking for a solution to cover gap, whilst being hygienic and cleanable (I’m guessing a kitchen ?) whilst cosmetically looking great :)

So yep, needs to blend in with worktop and wall finishes (in my mind anyway)

4. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

So the worktop is a simple black laminate top and the tiling has just been done and these are white. In a way it would be a shame to put a black upstand on as it will obscure quite a bit of the new tiles.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

The tiles are supposed to cover any gap, your worktop fitter was a cowboy.

Pollowick likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Need a picture of what you have ...

7. DIYDave.

So aside from the worktop fitting issue, the obvious answer is to fit an upstand

As to ‘obscuring quite a bit of tiles’....... these upstands come in various heights but can be around 60 mm high, so you ain’t gonna loose that much tile and will solve the issue

If you’ve just had worktops and tiles fitted new, then bodging up with thick beads of sili is gonna look s hit

Upstands are often sold to match worktops so is the obvious solution here :)

8. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

I didn't have a new worktop fitted, just some tiling done, worktop has been in place for years.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

He was still a cowboy.

10. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

I don't doubt that and that's why I want a new worktop fitted... Im sure he had a lovely horse though :)

DIY womble likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

Eh ???????

So now you’re having a new worktop fitted ???????

That changes the parameters some what

Your OP only mentions filling the gap ?

Usually you would replace worktop (scribed to fit), then tile down to worktop

So, what exactly are you planning on doing here ?

Simply gap filling and/or new tops

12. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

We were planning on a new worktop, but didnt have a spare £550 to do it, so stuck with just tiling. I WANT a new worktop but it will wait until next year.
    For now Im making do with what I have.... and my gap :)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. Pollowick

So, as asked before - put a picture up.

14. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

I will later, Im at work right now

15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Fill void with plasterboard adhesive and felt tip pink

16. DIYDave.

I don’t get it ......

This is just a temporary fix until sufficient funds are available to have new tops fitted (that bit ££ I do get :))

So why did you remove the sealing strip at this stage ? (Or maybe it was falling off)

Can you not just ‘glue’ it back in place with some silicone ?

If it’s a temp. fix, then almost anything will do. Piece of timber batten painted black to seal and match worktop

Piece of uvpc trim, also available in black if you wish

Bodge it up with sili, I know I said it will look s hit but didn’t realise at time it was a temporary measurement ;)

Surely, when you had the tiling done the wall was levelled then, otherwise the tiles will be wonky :eek:

So assuming the tiles are nice and straight, the new worktop will go in fairly easily, although the job is usually done the other way round

Good luck

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

First off this is all a bit a*se about face.

Really the tiles should be done after the tops.

But you are where you are.

If you are going to do worktops in the near future then just get some black flat profile from a upvc trade counter. Will cost maybe £5 for a 5.1m length. Cut to length and silicone to existing tops.

Don't silicone it to the tiles as you want to be able to remove it cleanly when doing the new tops.

And ask on here about fitting the new tops before jumping in!

DIY womble likes this.