Ideas for kids play area

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Matt_Smith85, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Matt_Smith85

Matt_Smith85 New Member

Looking for some advice and guidance really.

Have a section of the garden that I have fenced off for the little one to have a climbing frame/swingset/slide set up. Before I order that however, I am undecided on what to do about a base..........

The area is the lowest point of the garden and the soils is clay from about 150-200mm down.
    I had previously covered it in gravel but under bad weather water pooled in the middle.

My first thought was to deck the area (4.8m x 3.6m) then fix everything to the decking. The only issue here is current timber and decking prices. Looking at around £850ish at the minute.

I'm just conscious that if I put sleepers around it and fill it with bark/rubber, they will rot and smell as they'll be constantly damp.
    A concrete slab or slabbed area would just move the water elsewhere, as would just raising the low point.

What other options would you guys recommend looking into?

2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

Water has to go somewhere - if you deck it like it is, it'll promote rot in the deck if its no drained underneath well - even if not in contact.

Better off first addressing the water retention - dig in a drainage ditch, back fill with gravel and cover back over then at least you have options to put in concrete and include a route for water to reach whatever measures you have made in step 1?

3. Matt_Smith85

Matt_Smith85 New Member

Thanks buddy.

I can dig a trench along the 5m length.

What sort of depth are we talking about?

I can slope it to the end of the garden where its open land and load it with gravel.

4. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member