Ideas for stain,varnish,oil or what ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billfromarran, Sep 25, 2018.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

I am making a fireplace surround , I have some old church pews (Oregon Pine) which are the right size and thickness for the job, but I want the final finish to be antique,ie to look as if they are original, with a bit of olde world charm.
    What would be the best way to finish the fire surround? the finish wants to be fairly dark, I have plenty of the wood to experiment on before I do the job so can try any suggestions.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Osmo range and in particular, Polyx Hard Wax Oil

Available in natural wood colours, clear, and tints, satin, Matt, etc

Totally superb range of wood finishes, always highly rated

Loads of info and vids on you tube, etc

Also 5ml sample sachets available on-line, Amazon being one place to search

As you have some scraps to play with, makes sense, sounds like an interesting project :)

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

If you are in range of Cardiff try Fiddes, they have a colour centre where you can bring in off cuts and there experts will try some different colours, products and finishes with you FOC

KIAB likes this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Just a wild guess Sos but I think Bill might live in Arran.

5. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

Thanks chaps, will give the Osmo a look, .
    Sorry not near Cardiff,Sospan, but you have given me an idea for another place near me.

6. billfromarran

billfromarran Member

indeed

7. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Osmo are very good, the products absorb into the wood so if you get it right the wood looks untreated. The trick is to leave it for 5-10 mins then wipe off with a rag.

The grain becomes more prominant as you rub harder with the rag. Play around with the dwell time and how much you rub it down to get the effect you want.

Alternatively, apply two coats and you end up with an opaque solid colour that still allows the wood to look like wood.

Oh and the quantities are crazy, it covers a huge area.

Once you've used Osmo you'll never go back to normal varnish!

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Indeed, it’s superb stuff, real quality. May seem expensive but a little goes a long way

With the Polyx Oil, it’s getting the balance right with how much to apply to the wood so your not polishing loads off with the rag, the time (as you say) and just how much to rub

Coated some oak skirtings recently with clear satin and the wood looks totally natural, but also enhanced somewhat, whilst being protected against staining

Well worth the money and time spent applying