Ideas needed for reducing 50mm (2”) flush pipe to 38mm (1½”)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Randolfus, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Randolfus

Randolfus New Member

I like the look and reputation of the UK made Viva Skylo concealed cistern, under £40, with 10 year guarantee and RHS bottom-fill but it comes with a 50mm (2") flush pipe :(. I need to use the existing 38mm flush pipe because access to the flush pipe connector is restricted (stuck fast) by a stud wall right up to the back of the pan and I don't expect to get a 50mm pipe into a 38mm connector. The pan has previously been retro-tiled up to at floor level, leaving no manoeuvrability to securely re-seat waste or flush pipes, and I risk damaging the pan by trying to remove it. Therefore, I'm looking at options to reduce the 50mm pipe to 38mm, bearing in mind multiple reducers bring more risks of leaks and space is limited to around 15cm either side of the flush-pipe bend (typical slow bend, not new sharp 90 deg type).
    The closest I can find is a nominal 50mm x 40mm solvent weld reducer but before I go for that (and no way back after cutting and welding the pipes) I'm asking here how you guys get around this as I'm sure I'm not the first to face this issue. The flexible reducing flush pipes are much too long and people report that they can form a U-trap and are not very secure in the connector due to held water weight.

Thanks in advance for any guidance received.

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Something like this should fit?
    [​IMG]

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Either the mcalpine reducer shown above or the fenco type which is rubber with two jubilee clips will cope.

5. Randolfus

Randolfus New Member

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions - all appear inexpensive, so I may get one of each.
    Cheers.