Ideas to finish this built in shelving

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HackensackBulls, Oct 6, 2021.

1. HackensackBulls

HackensackBulls New Member

Hi All,

We have had this chunky open shelving installed. For various reasons we have ended up with this exposed edge to finish, we are are where we are.

The plasterer suggested something like 9mm quadrant beading which I was happy with however the edge varies from a perfect 9mm to more like 20mm on the bottom edge and everywhere in between.

I've considered architrave around the edge but the shelves are going to look quite recessed which I'm not sure will look good. It's all getting painted white so maybe I'm overthinking it. Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Trying to understand the actual issue here ?

Is the uneven gap of 9-20mm from the face of the wall to the recessed edge of the MDF unit ? Issue with the plastering perhaps ?

If so, may just be better to prep the MDF edges then paint the lot white as your planning. This will help to disguise the unevenness

By adding a trim of some sort, likely to accentuate this uneven gap i recon

Could go the architrave route and pack out the gaps with scraps of timber, ‘glue’ them in with caulk, then finish off with caulk to give a smooth finish. Could use filler but may well crack. Once all painted up, who’s gonna notice this uneven gap ? (Only yourself I guess) :)

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You are overthinking it, pin a 1 1/2" moulding/trim/architrave of your choice on the front of the shelves to tart the exposed edge up a bit, paint the lot and it will look very nice.