Identify labels on consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pal123, Jun 11, 2020.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

At my parent's house I'm labelling up the consumer units (1 main and 1 extension). I have an annotated JPEG at link:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZV4rEkZEqbx7HxCrRpPWwxEPSGpKXsrA4QV

Am sure that the labels in the link are below:

1, 2 - 100A main consumer unit switch
    3 - B16 RCBO (protects MCB labels 4,5,6)
    4 - B6 MCB
    5 - B6 MCB
    6 - B6 MCB
    7 - RCD (protects MCB labels 8,9,10,11)
    8 - B32 MCB
    9 - B40 MCB
    10 - B32 MCB
    11 - B32 MCB
    12 - RCD (protects MCB labels 13,14,15)
    13 - B6 MCB
    14 - B32 MCB
    15 - B40 MCB

Can I please have help in confirming that the labels above are the correct consumer unit labels? Thanks

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

3 is not an RCBO it is a B16 MCB

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Is the second one fed from the first?

4. pal123

pal123 Member

5. pal123

pal123 Member

Colmec: If 3 is a B16 MCB which label is the RCD/RCBO which protects labels 4,5,6? Please can you let me know, thanks

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You don't have an RCD protecting 4.5.6 it is a main switch you have a 16th edition consumer unit with one RCD

7. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

What you have is potentially dangerous
    You have a GE board with CGD (control gear direct) parts and Proteus parts- some of the parts don't line up properly

Reg 536.4.203 states (in simple terms) that consumer units should only have parts inside designed / approved by the manufacturer.

I would recommend a board change and an inspection / test .

8. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Also looks like a loose piece of tape next to the main switch rather than a proper blanking plate. Not going to do much to prevent a finger poking in and potentially coming into contact with any exposed live parts.

9. pal123

pal123 Member

Sparkielev: Does the single RCD protect 3,4,5,6 and 8,9,10,11? Or just 3,4,5,6?

10. pal123

pal123 Member

Would the MCB's need switching to just GE approved MCBs? Also yes I should get blank MCBs for the sections covered by the loose tape. Would you recommend, if the main consumer unit board is going to be changed, changing the MCBs for RCBOs?

11. pal123

pal123 Member

Would this consumer unit likely get electrical safety certificate approal?

12. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Unlikely in its current state. Also likely if that’s the state of the CU an inspection is going to uncover further issues with the existing installation.

What we could do with is a front on photo of the whole CU(s).

Choice of RCBO vs alternatives is down to a competent designer of electrical installations. Your particular installation beyond the CU and equipment you wish to connect could have an effect on the design.

13. pal123

pal123 Member

Main consumer unit photo: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZHuVOkZm4R219gKmr5iHrY3WMQkKHNrTpj7
    Extension consumer unit photo: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZjuVOkZPWawjfanqK4bflXMe0mAlRiAsXM7

The outlet cables from the various MCBs on the main consumer unit are surface clipped to the wall but are not mechanically protected.

14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If you mean the Consumer Unit would result in an unsatisfactory EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) then maybe.
    Having MCBs/RCBOs from different manufactures would normally be noted as a Code 3 unless there was evidence of heating or other damage preventing the correct operation and IP rating of the CU. If this was the case then you could expect a Code 2 and an unsatisfactory report.

One way to ensure a Code 2 is get a company in to do the EICR that relies on remedials to make money.

ElecCEng likes this.
  15. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

The tape on main CU is definitely impacting on the IP rating...

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

No, mcbs 1,2,3,4 are not RCD protected mcbs 6,7,8,9 are RCD protected depending what circuits are on 1,2,3,4 it hard to say what code an EICR would give, although the tape on the DB is a code 2, my advice would be RCBOs or change the DB