Identify this toilet/cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by greenchris, Jun 9, 2018.

1. greenchris

greenchris New Member

Got a toilet with a VERY slow filling cistern. Like 20 minutes. It comes out as a trickle.

If I undo the hand-turn knob on the filler part on the left, it speeds up a bit, but seems to come out at very high pressure, like it's forced through a tiny hole.

First things first, can anyone identify what I'm looking at here? This is a friend's house, and I don't know a manufacturer or model number or anything. If I can find what model it is, I can try to find a manual, and find out what I'm doing, but without that I'm a bit scared to start dismantling it (it's the only toilet in the house, so if I break it, it's a problem!!).

If anyone can help with the cause/solution, great, but if all you can tell me is a manufacturer, that would be great too. Thanks so much :)

Attached Files:

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

It looks like you need a new SIAMP washer - classic symptoms.

Edit: Turn off the supply - hopefully there's some means of isolation on the feed to the toilet otherwise you need to find the stopcock or possibly a valve on the feed out of a cold water storage tank. After that it's relatively straightforward. Undo the large ribbed nut at the top of the inlet. The assembly will come apart so take note which way round the washer is installed - it's a black moulded rubber product (predominantly) about the size of a 50p - but more expensive.
    Our hosts stock replacements but IIRC you have to buy two and they last ages so take the one you've removed to a DIY shed to find a match. 'Reassembly is the reverse of the above procedure' - that's a nod to Haynes car repair manuals....... Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. greenchris

greenchris New Member

You are my new best friend. Thank you so much! Like I said, not my house so I can't do it now, but I will be back there this week so I'll look in to the above and post progress here.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

Based on the fact that flow is slightly affected when you make adjustments to it, I tend to agree with WE that it could need a new washer.
    However, if it were mine, I would try one extra test before heading to the shops.
    For some bizarre reason, some toilet filler mechanisms come with filters on their water inlet side. If the water supply is not very clean, or if there have been recent repairs on the supply side of the mechanism, or if there is a header tank that is old and dirty, enough muck may have accumulated in the inlet filter of the toilet filler mechanism to reduce the flow. (It's easy to restrict flow in the case of a header tank because the water pressure is so low.)
    To check if there is a filter, follow WE's instructions to shut off the water supply. Remove the top of the filler (sometimes these are just quarter turn attachments). This is a bottom fee filler, so look down the filling pipe, and if there is a filter in there, remove and clean it. Then turn the filler top upside down and look for a filter in there. If there is one, you should just be able to clean it there. Reassemble and give it a try.
    If no filter was found, or if there is still no change, head shopwards with the old washer.

greenchris likes this.
  5. greenchris

greenchris New Member

Good call Roger. I'll have a look next time I'm there, thanks.