Identifying Mysterious Pipe

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by C9311, Aug 13, 2019.

1. C9311

C9311 New Member

Hi all

We're having a small hallway extension built on the front of our property, I've dug and laid the foundations as per the picture (building control have signed off)... but this pipe is majorly in the way. LABC won't comment on what it is, the builder is unsure...

Our electric is fed over-head by cables that run on the front of the house so I think I can rule that out. The stopcock for water is in the kitchen at the back of the house and the pipe "seems" to bend in the wrong direction at the bottom. Gas comes in on the side of the house.

I've used an inspection camera attached to a drain rod and it runs through our dining room at the front through the wall into the kitchen where I can't follow it any further as there is a wall in the way.

With it being so close to the surface I would hope its no longer in use, however, no-one can confirm what it is... is there anyone I can ring?! The house was built in 1910.

It seems to be a metal pipe with some brittle black coating. Inside under the floorboards its coated in some form of lagging, all be it only a thin sheath, with the black stuff beneath it.

Any help would be appreciated...

[​IMG]

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

have you any pictures of the pipe.

3. C9311

C9311 New Member

I have the one on the thumbnail: [​IMG]

That's about all you can see of it from outside with whats currenty excavated!

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Being lagged may suggest water, turn o mains water and put a screwdriver on the pipe and rest an ear onto the screwdriver handle......you will hear the water running through the pipe by doing this.:)

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

sorry i couldn't make out the pipe from the first picture that looks like an old water pipe you can see where it branches off to the neighbours but has been capped off in the days when your house was built property's shared a water main and one stop tap.. run the cold tap on full and put your ear to the pipe to see if you can hear water running also where is the stop tap in the street is it inline with the pipe..

6. C9311

C9311 New Member

I'll try thay this morning and report back, thanks peeps.

You'd never believe it but we dont have individual stop taps on the street, you get one put in on the drive if you opt for a meter, otherwise I suppose its half the street?

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Scratch off the black on pipe & see if it's lead or iron,I reckon that is a old water pipe.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

does he know any other trades people ?

9. C9311

C9311 New Member

He does! But sadly he isn't local so not sure anyone will be willing to do an hours drive to have a look.

Attracted some odd looks from the neighbours this morning holding a screwdriver to the pipe, with the tap running, couldn't hear a thing. Scratched off to reveal some shiny metal as below, so assume its lead.

Anglian have installed a hole on the drive when it was tarmac'd (we share a drive with a housing association Tennant), which is empty (highlighted in red below). I might risk drilling a 1mm hole in the pipe and see what happens... just hope its not gas...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

The water pipe does not necessarily need to be lead, although that by far was the most common, iron/barrel pipes were also used for water supplies into houses.
    Put a magnet on the pipe, if it sticks it is iron, if it does not stick it is lead.
    I would not start drilling holes in it though, what are you going to do if water or gas gush out.

11. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Around here you can have a meter installed and if you change your mind within 1 year they will take it back out
    Doesn't help with your immediate issue, just food for thought

12. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

tbh,when that unknown item was originally discovered before laying the foundation. Some consideration of moving the foundation to the left a couple if inches to avoid most of the unknown item and protect the unknown item where it passes through new block or brick with a duct or conduit.
    Or spend some more cash and get other trades in to further investigate the unknown item !

Thats live information from Tom the cockney builder,having breakfast in spoons :)

13. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

Breakfast! it's nearly lunch :)

14. C9311

C9311 New Member

Yes, my lack of foresight let me down dearly in this case.

Anglian is coming out Monday to ***** for fitting a meter, so I'll see what they say.

Cheers guys

15. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There are two pipes; The one in question and one at 90 degrees which looks like it has been capped

Even if Anglian fit a water meter, how is that going to help detect the purpose of the pipe as it could be branched anywhere from the meter installation ?

Like the house I have at the moment there may have been an historic problem with the mains supply so it was capped off inside the house and then a new connection was run. So you could still cut the pipe and water / gas come out.

Tracing the pipes is quite easy especially since it is a metal pipe, all you have to do is hire one of these https://www.hss.com/hire/p/cable-and-pipe-locator-cat-3-hire-pack-1

TBH the fact your builder went ahead and poured the founds without resolving the pipe runs doesn't inspire confidence as it is basic good practice.

16. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member