Idiot's guide to mortar for patio

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jase81, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Jase81

Jase81 Member

So the base is down, about to order my Indian stone pavers.

I've seen mortar suggestion of 4:1...but if a 'part' of sand and cement is a spade full, what's the best way to measure a 'part' of water?

Or should I just lay on sharp sand?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

What is the point if you lay on sharp sand? You will get dirty. Sit on a chair or stand up for goodness sake! o_O

3. Jase81

Jase81 Member

I've heard it's good for the back

koolpc likes this.
  4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

No no, getting someone else to lay the pavers is good for your back

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

That means 4 parts sand ,1 part cement... not 4 parts sand/cement 1 part water!

Have a look at www.pavingexpert.com

All you need to know is there... and it has a forum!

You wont need much water... and for pavers you can use a much weaker mix... 8:1 would probably be just fine!

Cando

6. Jase81

Jase81 Member

Yes, sorry, just didn't write it out fully. Ta!

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Personally I always use sharp sand for bedding slabs and 8 :1 is certainly strong enough.

You need to be careful to keep the slabs clean especially when you point them.

8. Jase81

Jase81 Member

So 8 parts sharp sand 1 part cement plus water?

9. candoabitofmoststuff

Yes.
    And it want to be damp, rather than wet.
    Think about the dampness of the sand you used to make sandcastles with at the seaside... Well that's probably a little too wet!
    Cando

Jase81 likes this.
  10. Jase81

Jase81 Member

Sounds like manual mixing in a barrow is best and just add water by judgement?

11. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

any opinions on the ready mixed Slablayer

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Never been tempted but looks expensive and if it goes off as quick as postcrete (which is vastly inferior to proper concrete) then I'd imagine it's a nightmare to use.

13. candoabitofmoststuff

Yes. Add a little at a time. You'll be surprised at how easily "just enough" becomes "too much"
    Cando

Jase81 likes this.
  14. Sneeze

Sneeze Member

If you're not using a mixer, Instead of a barrow, I really recommend buying a cheap workhorse paddle mixer and mixing in a XL flexitub. I've use a £30 Lidl mixer and it's still going strong after a few years. It's made life so much easier.

Jase81 likes this.
  15. Jase81

Jase81 Member

I spoke to my merchant briefly when he dropped off some crush. He said to have a mix of grit and soft builders sand for the concrete. The soft sand he says gives added suction.

I've found somewhere that does bulk bags of mixed with 70% soft and 30% grit.

Is buying a mixed bag ok (will it be mixed enough)...and is the ratio the right way round or should it be predominantly grit?