If building regs are ignoring me, can I go ahead and start work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dtexh, Oct 4, 2021.

1. dtexh

dtexh Member

I know there is a lot of discussion about people who dare to not put in building regs applications, but if I am contacting them and they are just ignoring me for weeks on end and have evidence I am trying to get their attention, can I go ahead and start notifiable work?

Thanks

2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

What is the work?

3. dtexh

dtexh Member

Extending an unused circuit from house 5m to shed for a socket and light (TN-S)

4. bright_Spark

nothing stopping you from starting it and getting the donkey work done first ready for their inspection

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you're extending an existing circuit there's no requirement to notify.

6. bright_Spark

Good point.

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

In some areas you will just get silence from LABC, round here they only have two officers, they just don't have the time. As what you are proposing is not notifiable thats why you have been ignored - crack on!! (but ensure of course it complies with regs)

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Does this translate as a unused space in the CU that will have a mcb fitted? Or as an actual existing circuit that is un-used? Which in itself would be a bit unusual. But there you go.

I think to get BC to pay any attention to you would need to fill out a form and pay them some money first.

9. dtexh

dtexh Member

Unused shower circuit from old power shower. House CU is only 2 years old. Very convenient.

If I did this with a dp isolator it would be fine but I want a CU in shed for future flexibility. Installing shed CU, even though it is just a big switch, is notifiable AFAIK

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Outside work is notifiable in Wales.

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Outside work is a weird one.
    Installing an outside light on the exterior of the house is not notifiable.
    Installing an outside socket on the exterior of the house is notifiable.
    Running a cable to a lamp post, bollard, etc. is not notifiable.
    Connecting the cable to a lamp post, bollard, etc. is notifiable.
    Running a cable to another building is not notifiable.
    Connecting the cable to something in that building is not notifiable.

12. bright_Spark

The whole Part P and notifiable work is not working, it is basically a way of the schemes to make additional money, I am a member of a scheme and find it completely pointless. As far as the homeowner is concerned they have no idea about it and that is who the advertising should be aimed at. Not us as electricians.

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Thing about Building Regulations, is that it is the householder or person ordering the work who is responsible for notification.
    As such, if an electrician fails to notify, Building Control will hold the householder responsible.
    The householder may be able to get Trading Standards to intervene, but the householder would have to be able to produce evidence that the electrician had agreed to make the notification.
    In any event, Building Control will still hold the householder responsible.

14. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Obviously in an ideal world we should do everything by the book.
    I'm not sure of the cost of getting this install done, but I imagine with building control involved it's a few hundred pounds, just for a socket and light.
    Personally, if I am confident I can carry out a job safely and to regs I will go ahead, not just to save a substantial amount of money but because I have also seen so-called professional workmanship that falls way below my expectations.

15. bright_Spark

Yes and there lies a massive problem, peoples confidence with some trades as a reputable electrician costs money and some undesirables charge the same for doing half the job. It is about trust more than schemes and Part P etc.

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Really? A lamp post isn’t a special location, and this is not as new circuit.

Coloumb likes this.
  17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

^lolz