IKEA Faktum Kitchen Base Units - are they compatible

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by FrodVegas, Jan 30, 2017.

1. FrodVegas

FrodVegas New Member

We are re-doing are kitchen, and the Ikea Faktum base units we have installed are only 4 years old. We can no longer buy anything from Ikea for these units as they've changed to a new system :(

I was looking at the Wren kitchen installation guides and cabinets at the front sides and bases look very similar. They look like they use the same clip on door hinges and the holes up the sides look identical, as do the feet. I don't know if they all confirm to EU standard with this type of thing (it would make sense!)

Do you think i could re-vamp kitchen using Wren door fronts and fittings using the old Ikea base units, and then just have a new work top installed over them???

Any feedback appreciated.

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Obviously the door sizes will have to be the same.

The hinge locations may be in slightly in different locations and the existing IKEA hinges may be different. The Wren kitchen units should take standard cabinet hinges and then it will be matter of fixing the hinge plate to the cabinet into the existing or new locations

FrodVegas likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Well-Known Member

To add to what sos said, you want to move this part of the hinge if they don't match:
    cab-hinge.jpg

The side in the red circle only needs pilot holes on the top and bottom screws, whereas the part that attaches to the door needs sinking in, which would look a right bodge with two holes on the door.
    This will work with other types of hinges, but to keep it as neat as possible you want the door as the hinge location reference.

If your carcasses are white, then use white filler to fill the old hinge holes to make them look neat.

And don't use screws that are longer than the depth of the material.

FrodVegas likes this.
  4. FrodVegas

FrodVegas New Member

Thanks for your reply sospan - so it seems plausible if Wren do the same size doors etc.

What about the internal fittings??? for things sliding drawers, shelves and integrated appliances etc.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Well-Known Member

Are you replacing the draws entirely?
    Normally you could just get away with changing the draw face.

IIRC, the Ikea carcasses use brackets similar to these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mdf-steel-shelf-support-100-pack/55545
    You could in fact use those brackets to attach the shelves if you so wish.

To get a 'hidden' fixing you could use these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/glass-glass-shelf-supports-100-pack/72531
    And chisel a small hole in the bottom of the shelf for them to slot into. This would weaken the shelf though.
    Pretty much the same as any other Ikea shelving unit. If you've got a Billy Bookcase you'll know what I mean.

FrodVegas likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

As joe mentions above, normal practice is to just replace the faces of the cupboards (door / drawers etc.). However, some of the drawers faces may be part of the drawer fabric. In which case you can buy readymade drawer kits and new runners.

One thing to watch out for is that some hinges use M8 bolt type screws rather than pointy wood screws. You may not be able to line up the bolt holes with the new doors so you will have to use pointy screws instead.

There are quite a few companies on the web that will supply doors and drawer units for you to fit yourself. Some will adjust the hinge positions for you as well

7. FrodVegas

FrodVegas New Member

Thanks Joe95 and sospan..

I guess they don't have to be Wren doors. I'm after the handless ones though (with groove), and I haven't seen them online anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

FrodVegas likes this.
  9. DIYmaster

DIYmaster New Member

Try www.faktum.co.uk Purpose made doors and drawers for Faktum kitchens measured by IKEA┬┤s original drawings.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Had the same problem last year, just changed the lot and used the 8 year old units in the utility area. Compatibility index = 0.

11. DIYmaster

DIYmaster New Member

True. The IKEA Metod and the IKEA Faktum are not at all compatible.

Also try https://easyfront.eu for new cabinets and fronts for Faktum kitchens.