Im having fun this time of year.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Yes its that time of year that all the calls come in from advertisers like yellow pages.Due to the shockingly poor response last year and a loss of £600 due to no calls to cover the advert price,I wont be renewing.But im still having fun listening to there begging calls and even the local sales rep sitting outside my house for me to come home from a hard days graft.Ho,ho,Fu(/>ing Ho, to them all.I dont need you im still busy.Any one else dumping them.

2. GKU

GKU New Member

Yep , like a hot potato , exactly the same reasons and situation as you sir .Getting by quite comfortably on referrals etc and I will be many £'s better off without them as well !!!

3. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Yellow pages isn't what it used to be. I used to use it all the time but now even OAPs use google.

4. mr_penetrator

mr_penetrator New Member

YP has given me naff all but people wanting to sell to me, moved over to yell.com to see what that gives over a year and if it's the same I'll drop that as well.

local papers and free rags work a treat

5. Beetle

Beetle New Member

Bear in mind you can have a free line with your name, address and home phone number in yellow pages and be put onto yell.com without paying anything.Thats the only advertising i do and over a year and get quite a few jobs from it.Some customers seem to avoid the big plumbers adverts in the yellow pages thinking they will come with big labour charges to fund the advert.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

A small ad in YP for those peolpe trying to find you there is OK but don't waste your money on a big ad.

7. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Thats what Iv'e got a small ad with yp cost about £118 for the year but got quite a bit of work from it, I find if i go a bit quiet and advertise in the local rag I do not get quality jobs just the dregs. Word of mouth is doing the business at the moment.

8. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yea funny ufindus hav'nt been phoneing, have they disappeared ???? hope so..

9. corkyboy2904

corkyboy2904 New Member

You only invested £600 in yellow pages and your wondering why you got no call? c'mon mate its pretty obvious the more you spend the better ad you get, im not a fan of yellow pages but after upgrading from a free listing to a £1300 a year listing the calls have increased 100 fold, 2-5 calls a week from small jobs to complete refits, work it out 3 calls a week times 52 weeks =(hang on whilst i grab the calculator) 156 calls per year if each call averages £60 your looking at a 10k return for a £1300 investment

10. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

corkyboy you work for advertsing, don't ya ?

11. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I'm with everyone else on here, Yellow Pages is rubbish, local rag & national press for larger outfits.

12. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Oh I forgot to add, in Yellow Pages you are listed with all the cowboys, you know AAAAPlumbing!!!............Some CCC who's only qualifications are he slept with a Plumber and got the pillow munching end!!!

13. corkyboy2904

corkyboy2904 New Member

There are 5 rules to creating a sucessfull business
    1. ADVERTISING

2. ADVERTISING

3. ADVERTISING

4. ADVERTISING

5. BE POLITE, COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFULL AT ALL TIMES TO CUSTOMERS

SIMPLE.

14. corkyboy2904

corkyboy2904 New Member

SUCESFULL BUSINESS PART II

After you have advertised your bo*&cks off for 2-3 years and been the most polite courteous plumber in the world you can relax sit back cancell all your advertising and work off word of mouth and recomendations
    TRUE????

15. Sorry mate.Still saying yellow pages is *.Im going to stick with the local rag when things are quiet.Have you ever had a few calls in a week from people, then all of a sudden yell.com phone you.Looks like they try to make you think there bang on so you advertise.No way this year.Had 3 letters from them begging for me since my last post. beg. beg .beg.

[Edited by: admin3]

16. corkyboy2904

corkyboy2904 New Member

Totally agree with you i hate the blagging * but its a fact that a right ad can generate a lot of custom, what im really saying is use them then dump them, get them in you home with a cup of tea and just when your about to sign ask them to drop the price.

[Edited by: admin3]

17. ezecool

ezecool New Member

yea funny ufindus hav'nt been phoneing, have they
    disappeared ???? hope so..
    They have been re-incarnated as something else. I forget the new name, but had a sales call about a month ago. Withheld number, but I was making a cuppa so took the call.

The salesman tried to sweet talk me into an 'amazing deal' which included a website design. I ask to see examples of their work online - hey presto the name they give me redirects to ufindus! In the end I just had to hang up the phone as I got bored listening...

Also had a call from the police federation society or something, for adverts on a calendar?! "In March?" I said. lol.

Has anyone else had the call where they start off by saying "Thanks for putting an advert into the local schools publication (or something) 6 months ago. We would now like to invoice you for the advertisement