I'm looking to hire professional tradesman and or a builder

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by buildcat, Mar 23, 2021.

1. buildcat

buildcat Guest

I'm refurbishing a 4 bedroom mid terraced empty property and need the following tradesman

1. The complete rewire of the property
    2. Central heating installation
    3. New water mains supply and to replace all the water pipes within the property
    4. Plasterer and screeder
    5. Installation of a kitchen and bathroom

If anybody has any knowledge or interest I'm located between Colchester and Bury St. Edmunds

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

You’ve got two choices here:

1) employ the trades yourself: electrician, plumber, plaster and kitchen fitter or

2) find a decent local builder who subs to the same trades

hugely difficult to give any idea of costs so get 2-3 quotes. Use word of mouth. Talk to friends and get recommendations for local people

longboat and buildcat like this.
  3. robgul

robgul Active Member

Taking the above points 1 & 2 - for 1 ... do you have the project management knowledge, buying experience to manage the job with all the different trades and their time-related interaction? (Think Grand Designs!!) - and 2 would be the safer option - but at the moment from my experience (as a customer with various jobs that need tradesmen) you'll probably be in for quite a wait to get anyone to quote let alone start work.

Looks like you might be between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

buildcat likes this.
  4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Is this the same property as last year ?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Payment via PayPal?

6. buildcat

buildcat Guest

I've done a bit before and project management of such a small refurbishment isn't that difficult on such a small job. The work is essentially 3 trades eg...heating engineer/plumber, plasterers and sparkie - the rest is just installing kitchen, tiles, WC and painting - there's nothing too complex that needs to be managed. I've got all my own trade accounts so I'm going to do it myself if I can find the tradesman who all seem to be busy at the moment

7. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Lol, if you can find any tradesmen who isn’t booked up for months, you would be wise not to use them anyway

8. buildcat

buildcat Guest

Is it that bad?

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Half the country being paid to stay at home so there's lots of jobs getting done either because of the increased funds available (no commuting and coffee shop costs) or out of necessity because their home wasn't originally intended as a work station.

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

mid you’ve got all that experience why have multiple posts on costs? Experience should suggest costs vary widely depending on seeing a job and scoping it out.

Colchester is not that close to Bury either. You are better of finding people very local to you: 15 mile radius etc