Immersion fuse keeps blowing and slight leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Shellie90, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Shellie90

Shellie90 New Member

Hi, Hoping there is someone that can help me. Earlier this year my immersion heaters fuse switch blew (I have a very old copper tank) so first thing I did was get the thermostat changed. It then worked for a bit but the same thing happened. My plumber then changed the immersion element to a completely new one after lots of back and forth, and after working for a day the fuse blew as I was switching it off again! It has been stressing me out all year.. especially considering how stressful this year has already been... I am due a rewire of my flat so am wondering if the electrics may be at play or if it is something else anyone can advise? The fuse is 13amp.

So my second question is, there is a very very tiny leak from just under the element (this is post the previous issue). It is very small so not enough to cause considerable damage but it does need to get tightened, how easy is it to tighten the immersion element with a wrench to prevent this? Is there a way to do it with without having to call a plumber or removing it. Thanks in advance appreciate any help as my frustrations are high! :)

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi

leaks near to the immersion boss. are normally pin holes, so a new hot cylinder looks on the cards I’m afraid

good luck

peter

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

also, if you are competent with a multi meter, check the resistance of the element, with the voltage and resistance, you can calculate the current in amps,

and from that the kw, the kw should be 3kw

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The switch itself ,wiring at the switch ,and the wiring at the immersion need checking out.
    A 13 amp fuse blowing is indicative of a short circuit .

5. Shellie90

Shellie90 New Member

Thank you, the switch has just been replaced so I’m assuming it could be the immersion wiring as it is very dated. Thanks for this.

6. Shellie90

Shellie90 New Member

Hi I am not unfortunately, literally have little to no knowledge of electrics but will get it checked when rewiring commenced hopefully!

7. Shellie90

Shellie90 New Member

Ahh that’s such a shame, do you know how much this roughly costs? Thanks for your help

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Shouldn’t be on a 13amp spur. Should be a 20amp switch. 13amp Spurs usually overheat the switch and burn out

9. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

The fact the fuse blows when you switch off points towards the switch. As mentioned, it could be arcing due to it being under-rated.