Immersion Heater Removal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Severntrent, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Immersion heater been bust for a couple of years and have decided (possibly) to bite the bullet and replace. What is the experience from plumbers who do this on a regular(ish) basis re its ease of removal. Assuming I have a well fitting immersion heater spanner capable of taking lump hammers blows how often does it all go pear shape and the the tank head shears/bends/ruptures making new tank necessary. Can manage without an immersion heater but nice to have a back up in the unlikely event that the gas boiler goes down.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

A couple of pointers I have been given.

Keep the tank full until the heater starts to move.

Tap the spanner in both directions, four or five light blows in the loosen direction, four or five in the tighten, repeat, repeat, repeat. You may not see any movement to start with but are starting to break any corrosion/seal and finally it will move. Do NOT be brutal or heavy handed.

The Happy Builder likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Just a thought... Are you sure it's the immersion heater itself that is "bust"... perhaps it's just the thermostat, which goes down the middle... these can be replaced much more easily!

e.g.

Apologies if you've already ruled this out!
    Regards,
    Cando

The Happy Builder likes this.
  4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I had to replace a cylinder because it leaked after the immersion was replaced, it happens.

Warn the customer upfront or accept the risk if it’s your own.

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

thanks, but yes that scenario checked out day one