Immersion tank with open coil - allowed?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jgw1977, Jun 2, 2021.

1. jgw1977

jgw1977 Member

My original mixergy immersion tank failed (some component), and I have been sent a new immersion tank. Weird thing is this tank has a coil for solar thermal at the bottom which we have no plan on using. I’ve read that you can’t cap a coil due to the build up of pressure on the trapped air, also this coil can’t be removed. Am I allowed to just leave it open (what if it leaks) or is that against code as well? Not sure what to do. Thanks.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It can be left open.
    What heats your hot water currently.
    If it’s heated indirectly then ideally you want that coil at the bottom.

3. jgw1977

jgw1977 Member

A firebird oil boiler.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If your oil boiler heats that cylinder then the cylinder will only heat above the height of that coil.
    If the bottom coil is for solar and the one above is used for the boiler then the whole tank won’t heat up.
    You would then be best using the bottom coil if the manufacturer allows this.

5. jgw1977

jgw1977 Member

No, mixergy just heats up the water you need. Hot water is pumped from the top to the rest of the tank depending on how much hot water you want to generate. It worked great…until it died.

https://www.mixergy.co.uk/

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I understand that.
    But the cylinder you currently have probably has the oil boilers coil at the bottom. This means you can heat the full tank if required.

If the oil boiler is now connected to a coil further up the tank it will be impossible to heat the full tank unless you use the bottom solar coil.
    Does seem quite a decent set-up. Not seem that before.

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Is your cylinder actually “Heat pump ready”?

8. jgw1977

jgw1977 Member

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. I already have this cylinder by mixergy and my oil burner is connected to the top coil and it can heat the entire cylinder fine. This replacement I have, also from mixergy is a newer version and they have added a coil at the bottom for solar thermal. I’ve no plan to use it, and wanted to know if I can leave the coil open? I guess from your replies that is allowed to happen, and isn’t against any regulations.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

No issues with leaving the coil open.