Immersion thermostat keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Coastie, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Coastie

Coastie New Member

thermal cut out is popping out

2. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

I would change the stat, cant see it being anything else

3. Coastie

Coastie New Member

still thinking its got something to do with the warix flange making the water at the very top overheat as this water is not drawn off

4. Coastie

Coastie New Member

I will buy a new stat again but that must be the fourth in 2 years

5. dum plum

dum plum New Member

Are you shure the pipes are not to far in the cylinder at the top and causing an air pocket at the top
    also is it connected to any other heat source

6. Coastie

Coastie New Member

no not sure but flange has the vent pipe coming out of it so wouldn't air escape up there

7. Coastie

Coastie New Member

no other heat source at this time

8. plumb paul

plumb paul Member

Might be the immersion heater itself - if its faulty. Do you know when this was last changed?

9. Coastie

Coastie New Member

2 years ago

10. imran_

imran_ New Member

Hmm, strange. Silly question, but it IS wired correctly, yes??? i.e. when the stat trips it does stop power to the element?

Other than that... stray current on pipework (check it is earth bonded). Stat touching flange?? Some strange limescale effect??? Cylinder gnomes??

11. Coastie

Coastie New Member

yes its wired correctly and heat stops when trips. But trip is a heat trip so how can any other bad earthing etc make this trip?

12. Allhours

Allhours New Member

I would aim at the immersion heater is scaled up along with your temperature dial, there was no fault with the existing stat as you bought another one and still same problem.

Buy a new immersion heater and stick it in.

13. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Sounds odd. Are you sure that there is no other heat source to the cylinder. Do you have central heating?

BB

14. britishblue

britishblue New Member

People have suggested that the immersion heater is faulty. However as the heater is controlled by the thermostat, once the correct temperature is reached the thermostat cuts the power to the heater. How can a faulty heater cause overheating in this situation? Doesn't sound sensible to me.

BB

15. Allhours

Allhours New Member

The thermostat goes into a dry pocket, the pocket itself could be covered by lime scale, increasing the time for the heat to get thru to the thermostat, causing over heating.

Which i believe would trip out the thermostat.

Here endeth the lesson.

16. Coastie

Coastie New Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SORTED AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Decided to take the immersion heater out and found the top 3 inches was copper colour, ie no discolouration like the rest of the element, no limescale build up or anything else. Therefore as I thought it had something to do with the warix flange, what had happened was the vent holes around the top of the flange were blocked, it just took a visit to the loft to back blow the vent pipe. Fitted a new immersion while I was there and all now sorted.
    Thanks for all the advice, good forum.

17. Allhours

Allhours New Member

Blocked with what?

Water or a big **** or toilet roll or sanitry towel or a used condom?

or was it LIMESCALE!

18. Coastie

Coastie New Member

no limescale in the tank very soft water it was tank insulation debris that had blocked the pipe!!
    ALLHOURS you must live in hole if you get that sorted of debris blocking your pipes.
    Here endeth this lesson.

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Floating debris in a HWC is always bad news. Unhappy site plumbers often put ping-pong balls in the HWC to give the builder a headache!

20. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

and this blockage had no effect on the hot water flow?