Impact drivers and drills

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by R.W_Carpentry, Nov 20, 2012.

1. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I'll soon be on the market to get a new impact driver and drill as the batteries are slowly dieing on the Makitas I've got at the moment.
    So, who rates what?
    I've got an sds and hammer drill so these are more general use, drilling out doors, fitted furniture etc.

I've got 14.4v basic old Makitas at the moment , which I don't have much to complain about, I find the drill chuck a bit useless however, I got these second hand so to be fair have take some stick til the batteries now don't hold a lot of charge. I was thinking about getting essentially the same kit with the triple pack that screwfix do for £200, however don't mind spending more on a better set.

The firm I used to work with kitted us out with festool stuff, I can't remember the exact drills we got but were the newer at the time 14v with drill chuck, impact head and right angle head, I got on with these OK, light weight but didn't find them much cop for impact driver type use.
    Possibly a festool drill but bosch driver?

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

18V Li-Ion is where its at now. A good balance of power/weight and price. I use all Makita stuff now and its excellent. No problems at all. De Walt, Bosch and Metabo good too.

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Thanks, is Festool worth the extra dosh when it comes to drill drivers?
    I found the circular saws, jigsaws etc very good but never used the drills much, they were nice and lightweight but don't know if there's anything special about them?
    Most of my gear's makita, so probably go for them, find they take a beating but quite affordable to replace when necessary.