Impact wrench as a screwdriver?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tightanium, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tightanium

tightanium New Member

Lidl will have a 20v Parkside Impact Wrench next week for 69eu, which is a great deal. I don't do any mechanical work so I just need an Impact driver for my projects, will this impact wrench work for screwing screws, or is it too powerful? It uses a 1/2in drive so I would need one of those 1/2 to 1/4 inch adapters to use the screwdriver bits. Other impact drivers are too expensive, so would this work? Thanks so much
    [​IMG]

2. xednim

xednim Active Member

bad idea in my opinion, for DIY you will rather need combi drill than impact (too heavy, makes too much noise, too powerful), personally I have quiet few cordless drills and one impact which I have used possibly 3 times over 5 years :)

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Yes, amongst ever so many drills and impact drivers, I have Ridgid (AEG) 1/2" driver, that is a tad too big (powerful) for anything less than 4" screws and have had it tested - measured with professional torque wrench instead of advertised 380, it produced actual 250 nM . As a reference car bolts normally done up -120nM, old makhyta advertised as 250nM, only just managed to undo 150nM bolts.
    Also, (unlikely) it is in them figures being advertised as 250, but having ~150nM, you need quality adapter and Wera Diamond impact bits (~£6 each), as they will break every single time you even unintentionally apply any force on them.

4. tightanium

tightanium New Member

I have a cordless drill from parkside aswell, it works wonders, however I think it would be easier to have an impact wrench/driver along with it, to make jobs go faster instead of having to switch out the bits. This one has 5 torque levels, from 100nM to 500nM, but since I'd just be screwing screws I'd keep it at the first level.
    Thanks for the replies guys:)

5. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Impact will drive screws in that a normal cordless screwdriver/drill won't, BUT, as mentioned, you need to use bits that are suitable for use in the impact driver.
    Would be without mine tbh.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I use my DeWalt impact gun for putting in small and very large screws. At low speeds and torque the impact function doesn't kick in and it works like a drill with a screw driver bit.

Most people end up trashing the screwdriver bits with impact guns through poor technique - not lining up the bit and screw properly and pulling the trigger too hard so it uses full power when it isn't needed.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Be lost with out my Bosch impact driver,used it today to drive in some 100mm coach screws.

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Wouldn't argue in relation to 1/4 drivers, where's mine quotes 2200lbs ~250nM, but in reality has no more than ~150-160nM and has all the speed adjustments etc...
    1/2" one, just way bigger, so much so, that it uses different mechanical impact mechanism and no 6 100mm screws simply snap, if not the driver bit etc...
    Sure would make sense pre'drill, be careful with trigger, but where's the fun in that? ;)