Imperial Vs Metric

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jason73, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Jason73

Jason73 New Member

Hi there,
    I have lost some screws/bolts that I need to rebuild a wardrobe. Can't find matching bolts anywhere. The sixe looks the same but the threads on the bolts in shops are tighter. Do I have imperial bolts and where can I buy replacements?

I think they are M6 machine bolts (thats what I was told).

Thanks,
    Jason

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

They could be any one of a number of threads, UNF, UNC, BSF, Metric course or fine, Whitworth etc. They may also be 1/4inch which looks close to 6mm.

How old is the furniture, most stuff made in the last 10-15yrs will be metric (M6) though some of the far eastern products use odd threads.

Have you lost all the bolts or just some, if you do have any hold them against a ruler and see how many threads there are to 25mm/1inch this will help in identifying the thread. M6 has a pitch of 1.0mm so there will be 25turns over a 25mm length.

Jason

3. Jason73

Jason73 New Member

@ Jasonb

Thanks. I still have a couple of the bolts so I will measure the thread. The wardrobe is just a cheap fabric covered frame I bought 5-10 years ago from Argos I think but I do need the right bolts as the nuts are recessed into the frame.

Jason

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Chances are the threads knackered as Argos buy a lot of cheap imports.

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

When Sam Whitworth made the first accurate machine thread, from which every screw since has been made, the angle was 55° when everyone knew that a triangular thread should be 60° so BSW (Whitworth) were the only threads cut at 55° and al other threads have been made at 60°.
    Sam Whitworth got it right by mistake.
    BSW are much stronger than the unified or metric 60° threads. When tightened and loosened regularly a Whitworth nut & bolt lasts twice as long as those namby pamby 60° ones.
    35 years after metrication there are still many that use good old Whitworth threads.

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Not forgetting ACME or square threads are you Dewy!! even stronger that Whitworth.

Jason

7. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

ACME?, Is that the same company that made all the gizmo's for the coyote when he'd try to catch roadrunner. ;)

8. Mof

Mof Guest

Good old whitworth, nice thread.