Inaccessible pipe: clipping vs support

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by phloaw, May 23, 2021.

1. phloaw

phloaw Member

Hi, I managed to push two 15mm pex pipes through the underfloor space of a second floor. They go (on a straight run between two parallel joists) from a hole in the floorboard (18mm thick) under an existing radiator to another hole in the contiguous room's floorboard, ready to attach a new radiator.

Therefore, the pipe portion in the roughly two metre distance between the two holes is currently inaccessible, and merely rests on the lower floor's ceiling.

Would that be enough support? Or should I add clips along the inaccessible part to avoid problems on the long run?

Thanks.

PS: I can add a lagging sleeve to the inaccessible pipe portion, if that helps.

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

That’ll be fine in my opinion, worth slipping some lagging over tho if u can.

phloaw likes this.
  3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I wouldn't worry about that. Pipe insulation would help stop the pipe knocking if it moves with supplies being turned on and off. If it was a waste pipe it would be different.

phloaw and pppmacca43 like this.
  4. phloaw

phloaw Member

Thanks both. I was also thinking of sliding the uninsulated 15mm pex pipe inside a 22mm pex pipe to protect it from possible dangers (nails, etc.) I can't see. Will it fit? Would that make sense?

5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I wouldn’t bother, a nail would go through both anyway

phloaw likes this.