Incoming supply cable, new door fitted

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dot99, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Having the windows and doors replaced with uPVC.

The door had been measured and fitted. But now when trying to fully open the door, the door is hitting the incoming supply cable(i.e. you can't fully open the door).

Quick chat with a spark suggests the incoming cable needs to be moved, only about and 1inch closer to the wall is already on. I understand this is a job for the power distribution company.

Any ideas of this is correct, and how much it may cost

Thanks

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

could you post a photo because if the cable just needs moving a bit and not disconnecting any electrician should be able to do it if the cable is in good condition.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the original door fitted and opened ok why won't the new one? Fitted in a slightly different position i'd guess so i'd blame the fitter. It will cost you a lot of money if you ask the supplier to alter their cable position.

Dot99 likes this.
  4. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

may be the suppliers oversight, but what are the chances of a fix...i'm dont see them to be forthcoming with any help on this, what do you think

5. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Some images...(including the original door)

supply needs to move approx 1 inch toward the wall (or as close to the wall as possible). or new door?

Attached Files:

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Is that a piece of steel conduit with the supply cable inside?

1. Is it a solid floor in the hall
    2. Where is the meter / consumer unit
    3. is there anything stopping the pipe / cable being pushed against the wall a bit more.

I would imagine if its a very old cable the electric board might want to replace it rather than move it if you involve them, I would do it myself if I was you, where there's a will, there's a way.

Dot99 likes this.
  7. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

1. Floor seems solid except for a slight hole where the supply enters.
    2. meter and new CU above the door.
    3. See image. Thats the space i have for adjustment. Unsure of pipe material.

Attached Files:

8. peter palmer

Think you may struggle to move it back at floor level, its probably metal conduit that comes in from outside and will be pretty solid under ground.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

WTF didn't you think of that before you had the door fitted? Its bizarre the things that people just don't see until after the event. Stupidity abounds.

retiredsparks and Dot99 like this.
  10. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

No I didn't! Neither did the uPVC company. Wtf was I thinking.

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Don't apologise the cable must be invisible to everyone. Its just not really there. Hope it costs you hundreds of pounds to rectify just because nobody was capable of seeing it.

retiredsparks and Dot99 like this.
  12. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Best advice of the day on the forum. Many thanks for your help.

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Is it Gas, Water or Electric supply?

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You contracted with the door supplier to measure, build/source and install a new door that provides you with unfettered access to your house.

That supplier has FAILED to deliver what you have ordered and contracted for - he failed to allow for the incoming supply which was obviously there when he measured.

So, inform him that you will NOT be paying his invoice until the problem is resolved at no cost to you. He will have a choice to either pay for a re-routing of the supply, or to source and install a door that does not foul on the supply. You should not pay any more until everything is resolved with fully operational doors and windows.

retiredsparks likes this.
  15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

As said best option is move door, yes I agree it will be a lot of work and expense for company who fitted door, but still likely to be far cheaper than moving supply.

16. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

As said above: you contracted with a company to buy a door that opened. The cable was visible so they should have accommodated it. Force them to sort it at their expense. My view is that if they refuse and you went to court you would win based on the photos. Don’t give in, they have screwed up

17. peter palmer

Or maybe have a go at moving it back first to save everyone a load of hassle and money.

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The door company should of added an extension profile on the hinge side of the door - A standard thing most suppliers will do on doors that open outwards, as it allows a door to open past 90deg. When the door opens against a wall they omit it, as not needed, but in your case it was necessary.

I would be going back to the door fitters here - They cannot expect you to have that cable moved - It will cost far more than a replacement door!

19. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The door fitter was rough, we can see expanding foam on the left of the door. This issue is the responsibility of the supplier and fitter, get them back to rectify the problem, fit a new door of the correct size...properly. Your personal level of acceptance is set too low, expect more, demand more.

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I really would not want to be disturbing/ moving that pipe that has sat there for 50 years...particularly if the cable inside is lead sheathed.
    RS