Incorrect shape of hexagonal flanged nuts

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Marquitos, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

IMG_20210609_231811.jpg IMG_20210609_231743.jpg IMG_20210609_231641.jpg Hi, I bought a towbar for my car which came with a kit of bolts and nuts and found the flanged nuts to be out of shape; is not a perfect hexagon but instead distance between opposite sides of hexagon are not the same. Is like when manufacturing the nuts these have been compressed making them oval alike; Has anybody found similar shape in nuts? Is this something normal?

2. dray

dray Active Member

Do they go on the bolts ok, surely that's the only thing to worry about?

3. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

I inserted one by hand but couldn't pass it through; a spanner will probably do but thought it might damage bolt thread. I have asked the towbar manufacturer that supplied the bolts and nuts kit.

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

There are certain types of nut which have purposely distorted threads so they act as a lock nut. Certainly a possibility since it is a towbar. As above, can you start it on the bolt?

Edit: What did the manufacturer say?

5. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

The nut just go inside by hand force without the bolt popping out.

So this might be for the but to hold to the bolt and not to come loose with car vibration, that could made sense since there were also smaller nuts which have the same shape.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes. Since the nut starts on the bolt it will then lock when you have it fully home. If the distortion was over the whole length of the nut you would obviously have issues even starting it so I would say definitely this is what it is for.

7. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

Thank you Muzungu

And for confirming this theory the fitting instructions of the towbar don't require a nut washer and other makers use instead nuts with nylon.

Muzungu likes this.
  8. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

This is the manufacturer response which confirms your theory;

"Some of the nuts supplied will be oval, these are deformed lock nuts and are mainly used in any application where heat could possibly melt a nylon locking nut"

Muzungu likes this.
  9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Learn something new every day! Seen nuts with slots at the top and compressed to alter the thread form to act as a lock but never this idea.

One assumes it's cheaper, but I think I'll stick to Nylocs.

10. spannerw

spannerw Active Member

Not quite sure how a towbar can get so hot to melt a nyloc?

11. Marquitos

Marquitos New Member

Maybe next to the exhaust?

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  12. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 New Member

This is normal for a certain type of locknut - and they are far stronger than a nyloc.

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Well-Known Member

Why did they not supply Loctite Threadlocker 272 - works up to 230c and there are others that are even higher rated.

14. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

These nuts are used in aviation, I have a few boxes of them, far better than Nylocs.

15. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Nowt wrong with a nyloc..